My Pictures Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by jerseydevil, Apr 11, 2006.

1. jerseydevil

jerseydevil Private First Class

The thumbnail pictures in my My documents folder have vanished. I have to click on preview to see the pictures. Everthing in the rest My Documents is there. All the pictures in folders in My Pictures are there too.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

3. jerseydevil

It is the jpegs that are the issue. There is no box for jpegs on the tweak.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to My Computer-Tools-Folder Options.

Click on the File Types tab. Delete the file association for jpeg. It will rebuild with the default MS associations.

5. jerseydevil

I found the registered file types. There are three JPEGs. Should these be deleted? When I started to delete them a box warned that I wouldn't be able to open any JPEGs.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, if you feel nervous, make a system restore point first.

As for which to delete...check the file extension of that which doesn't show the thumbnail.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Also understand that I wouldn't reccomend something extreme like this if I hadn't tried it on myself first.

Its safe.

Honest :)

If it doesn't rebuild immediately, then double click and open a jpg and it will.

8. jerseydevil

I just needed to know if file types and associations were the same. I deleted the three JPEG icons in the file types box and it looks like they were rebuilt since they appeared again. But I still have no pictures on the thumbnails in My Pictures, just the icons.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You do have the view set to thumbnails, right?

10. jerseydevil

Of course! The problem started yesterday when I uninstalled Picassa. Picassa was freezing up and when I took it out the file pictures were gone.

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

as well as Adryns sugstion to double check the View settings.

try this

Start > Run and type regsvr32 shimgvw.dll > ok

or Right Click image files and choose Refresh Thumbnails

and as a last resort you can delete the thumbs.db file from the My Pictures folder ( only ) and that will recreate a new one ( this is basically the image cache of images in your folder ) you will however need to un-hide your file to view the thumbs.db files, to do this goto Tools > Folder Options > View and check "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and untick "Hide protected operating system files" > apply

then goto My Pictures and delete the thumbs.db file, close the folder and reopen to check.

12. jerseydevil

I ran the Start>Run sequence. A box reported that it had succeeded and the system froze. I had to reboot. Where is "Image files" so I can right click and how do I get to the My Pictures folder so I can delete thumbs.db. I have the hidden files showing.

13. jerseydevil

:rolleyes: I used Search to find and delete the thumbs file but there is no difference.

14. jerseydevil

Is this problem too big for MG.

15. theefool

theefool Geekified

Another thought....

Are these extensions ending with .jpeg or .jpg?

If .jpeg, try renaming them to .jpg.

Or just one of the extensions. To see if this works.

In addendum...what windows OS are you running?

16. jerseydevil

I am running XP. They are jpg files. If you read my posts you know that after uninstalling Picassa pictures stopped downloading.

17. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yes, I read them. Just wanted to note that there are .jpeg extensions and also .jpg extensions.

18. jerseydevil

There all .jpg. A number are also .gif.

19. jerseydevil

:D The XP tweak worked. I removed the AVI extensions and voila all thumbnails restored and saves worked. I did some research and found that this is a common issue when there are avi fles stored. Interestingly, I had tried a clean boot but I suppose that has nothing to do with the file extensions. I'll repost the link here for anyone who came in in the middle and has the same issue:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Line 17, right column.

Thks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds