My playing of online videos are eventually freezing and crashing???

Discussion in 'Software' started by montecarlo1987, May 12, 2011.

1. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello. I need your advice or assistance with a specific issue.

When I play long videos on YouTube (Say over 5 minutes long.) sometimes (not always) I get an issue with the video playing at the near or the end of the video.

These are the sequence of steps of what is happening near the end or a later part of the playing video:

1. Video usually instantly freezes (as a still image) while the sound is still being played. Mouse and keyboard (sometimes) not responsive and other times I can move the mouse, but none of the buttons like closing the web browser will close. This can last 1-2 seconds. I notice at times too when I click on another system activity, for example clicking on another tab in the browser while the video is playing, this video freeze will happen instantly in a longer playing video too.

2. After the frozen still image which lasts for 1-2 seconds , the screen flashes quickly black a couple of times for a total time of 1-2 seconds.

3. After the brief black screen flashes, I get the screen clipping I have attached here (see below). The video screen is solid green, and the message from the notification area stating, "Display driver stopped responding and had recovered. Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered." The mouse and keyboard are fully operational at step 3. The video will not respond. Obviously, video play cannot be resumed. I have to close the browser window and start all over again if I want to watch the video again. Now, the odds of this issue happening again while playing the same long video are 50/50.

Here is the Windows Problem Details connected with the screen clipping here:

Description
    A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 117
    BCP1: FFFFFA800A73C010
    BCP2: FFFFF8800457845C
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 256_1

IMPORTANT TO NOTE:

1. This seems to happen while playing longer videos usually later in the video time period.

2. I notice *it seems* longer videos that have to stream or that download the data stream SLOWLY are often more to have this issue happen than videos that are FAST to download the data stream. For example, trying to watch a video while the data is being downloaded. You can see this when looking at the screen clipping below. However, this is not always the case. In a few instances, I can still have the long video downloaded and THEN AFTER watch it and it will happen too.

3. *Previous* to this particular instance issue here: I have removed the AMD/ATI driver and software suite and installed the latest driver only version. I used the latest version of Driver Sweeper to remove the original AMD/ATI driver and software suite.

4. To let you know since this has been happening, I had increased my RAM to 8GB. I had to make some changes to my BIOS like slight voltages increases in DRAM and the motherboard's northbridge and the memory module timings modified. This issue happens. I reset all values to their default values -- issue like here still happens too.

Any advice or suggestions? Please reply.

Thank you!

Some basic general stats of my system:
    - Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit.
    - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 -- Yorkfield 2.83 GHz 1333 MHz processor.
    - ASUS P5Q desktop motherboard.
    - 8 GB of Corsair XMS2 4x2 GB DDR2 RAM.
    - XFX Radeon HD5670 Graphics Card.

Attached Files:

2. General_Geek

General_Geek Private E-2

If you have tried the obvious software re installs....

Just a couple of thoughts on this. Try using just one stick of the new ram. If that solves your issue then you have a bad stick of ram.

Next check your mother board for leaking or swollen capacitors. A bad Cap can make a systems video behave very erratic. One second it works and the next second it's freezing the screen ect.

Just a note: Capacitors are easy to replace and pretty cheap. The hard part is finding the proper ones.

If you have a video card from another computer you can swap out to test your video that would be a good idea also.

If your using on board video and the chip goes bad sometimes this can extend the life of your computer. It doesn't always work but it's worth a try if you have an old functional video card laying around.

I hope that helps.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  3. montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987 Private First Class

Hello General_Geek:

Thanks for your input. I share with ya what I have learned from others. I was told that it is a Flash issue -- a known bug with Flash. Researching this, it does make perfect sense. There is no real rhyme or reason when and why it happens. The cause is unknown. The known fix is to uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration" box. I did that. *STILL* this issue appears under the same conditions I originally posted. I see regardless if I use either my nVidia card or my AMD/ATI card, it happens here too. It is totally random and happens only when I playback longer online videos at times.

Let me ask you this... ...could it be the the increase in RAM with maybe some instability issues and somehow impacting the video playback in some way??? I never noticed this when I had 4 GB of RAM. It seemed to start happening when I increased or doubled the RAM for my system.

So your thinking it is possibly a RAM issue??? Can an increase in RAM cause issues with video playback freezing and system crashing?

After telling you about the Flash issue, what is your honest opinion now???

Please reply.

Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds