My printer won't print.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nugagrube, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Nugagrube

Nugagrube Private E-2

I tried to print something then the piece of paper got crinkled in the printer. I successfully got it out (nothing was torn off inside, the paper was intact) and now my printer won't print. I tried shutting my computer off and turning it back on and the printer printed but only blank pages. I also tried unplugging it for 3 or 4 hours, that didn't work either. I went to the printer and canceled all the prints and tried to do it again, yet no avail. What's wrong with my printer? How can I fix it? Please help,

C.J.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Nugagrube...

We need to know your Windows version and service pack #, and the type of printer you're using...

Can you print a test page? If not, are there any errors shown anywhere?

3. Nugagrube

Nugagrube Private E-2

I use Windows Vista Basic, Idk what a service pack is my printer is Hp Deskjet 3740 Series (LiDiL), exactly how it appears. It says the printer is off even when it's plugged in. It can't print anything.

My computer also keeps showing an IE error and I keep getting pops up when I click on certain things that I need to reinstall somethings from our internet provider, Comcast. It may be that that is messing my computer up? I dont think so but i tought Id mention as much as i can just to be sure. Thanks

4. holiday

holiday Private E-2

Maybe uninstall and reinstall the printer driver. I haven't researched the specs on the printer but if it's USB, plug it into a different USB port as well.

5. Caliban

You might want to follow the steps listed on this page to install the HP Print Diagnostic Utility, which may help us figure this thing out...

To find your Service Pack #: Click on Start and then Control Panel. Click on the System and Maintenance link. (Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.) Click on the System link. In the Windows edition area of the View basic information about your computer window you'll find your Windows Vista edition information and the service pack level...

The IE error you're getting most likely has no bearing on the printer issue: you might want to start a separate thread in the Software forum for that problem...

And, I agree with holiday: do as suggested...in fact, don't be afraid to try things as troubleshooting procedures - that's what we're here for...

6. Nugagrube

Nugagrube Private E-2

i got home today and discovered a new cord attach to my printer (noone placed it ther I just overlooked it) and it was the power cord. I unplugged it waited a minute plugged it back in, plugged in the usb cord to a new usb port and voila! It worked, i then plugged it into its old usb port it also worked. I didnt try it before i unplugged the power adapter so Idk if that did it or it just worked after it cooled off a bit either it worked now and im good. thank you guys for the help if anything else happens ill know where to look for help thanks a bunch. good day,

C.J.

7. Caliban

Talk about overkill - glad it was something simple...

Still valid, if you're having IE issues...

Thanks for the feedback, and good luck!

8. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Nuga,

Unplugging many devices causes them to do a reset when plugged back in. Saves a lot of hair pulling.

Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds