My resolution and color depth are all messed up.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Treachery380, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Treachery380

Treachery380 Private E-2

I have a very interesting problem. It's been doing this for a while, but just recently got worse. I normally set my desktop resolution to 1024X768, but recently I wanted to turn it up to 1280x960 for using photoshop and other programs where I need a lot of space. So I go into display settings, and try to change it, I click apply, the screen goes black for a second so I think that it's working, but then it comes back and nothing has changed. It even gives me the confirmation window and everything. So I got fed up with just letting this stay a problem, and uninstalled my video drivers, and reinstalled them. I restarted my computer and it gets stuck at 640x480... The only way that I can change it is by using the Catalyst Control Center. The worst part is that if I use any resolution but 640x480 it sets my color depth to 8 bit. I hope that someone out there knows what could be wrong.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Try completely uninstalling the drivers and then reinstalling them to see if that corrects the problem.

3. Treachery380

Treachery380 Private E-2

I tried that initially, and it made it worse. Maybe I should get a different version of the drivers.

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

What graphics card and driver version do you have?

5. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Try going to the website of the chipset on the cards and downloading the drivers from there ... NVidia actually has a detection tool that will detect what version you need ... plus run furmark or something similar to stress and stability test your card.

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Good info, but the OP has stated that he used catalyst control center to change his settings, so the OP has an ATI card.

7. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Oh sorry lol ... that one slipped by me ... same rule applies, just you have to know what your card is ... as far as I know, ATI doesn't have a detection tool.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds