My system idle process runs 80-90% all the time.

Discussion in 'Software' started by korz, Jul 4, 2005.

1. korz

korz Private E-2

I have had this computer for 3 or 4 years now mainly for gaming, my games started getting slower and slower and i found this site looking for help...
    i went through every recommended step (when i first ran ccleaner it removed over 900mb) i use Ad-Aware SE Personal,AntiVir XP,Registry/Startup Mechanic.. I defrag my computer at least once a month even when it doesnt need it,ive run every virus scan online etc..
    Well today i noticed my system idle process was running and did some searches to see what it was,from what i understand it runs when your cpu hasnt anything to do to and is a perfectly normal thing in a healthy computer...But i have checked when im running games and other cpu eating applications and this process is running ALL the time

Please give me your advice on this if you would i have read "READ ME FIRST BEFORE ASKING FOR SUPPORT: Basic Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal"

my rough specs are
    800mhz p2
    247 ram
    70gig hd
    nvidia geforce 2
    i am running windows 2000 nt pro with every windows update available.

i have hijack this downloaded if u need me to run it

will also post this picture of task manager

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

• ex.jpg
      ex.jpg
      File size:
      55.1 KB
      Views:
  2. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

system Idle process, is just the % of cpu power that's not being utilized.
    It's normal to have it running all the time.

3. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

That's normal for System Idle process.

4. Yes that is a perfectly normal thing to have. I have an ancient 600MhZ celeron processor that has the same thing going on. Actually that happens in all computers. Dont freak out over that. That is perfectly normal for the computer to have. It happens in all computers. Like shadow puter dude has said it is just the cpu inside your computer that is not being used.

5. korz

korz Private E-2

but shouldnt it stop when im in a game?

even very old and out of date games that used to run very very fast now run slow and people are constantly complaining that im slowing games down ;(

i have a 2mb bb connection so i know its not that

6. korz

korz Private E-2

also do all the processes i have running look ok? can i lose any that might improve performance?

7. Shadow_Puter_Dude

SUN.EXE is a virus know as W32/Favsin-A (Sophos), Email-Worm.Win32.Yanz.b (Kaspersky), Win32/Yaha.Variant.Worm, WORM_YANZ.B (Trend), W32/Yanz.b@MM (McAfee), W32.Yanz.B@mm (Symantec), W32/Yanzi.B@mm (F-Prot)

FreeRAM XP.exe is unnecessary Win XP does just fine managing system memory, uninstall it.

Acpu.exe is taking up clock cycles, no real reason to be running this.

Game.exe is a virus (Dialer).

That's what I see in your screen shot.

Follow the instructions in this thread:
    READ ME FIRST BEFORE ASKING FOR SUPPORT: Basic Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal

Get the viruses cleaned off your system, and see what that does for your speed.

8. korz

korz Private E-2

"SUN.EXE is a virus know as W32/Favsin-A (Sophos), Email-Worm.Win32.Yanz.b (Kaspersky), Win32/Yaha.Variant.Worm, WORM_YANZ.B (Trend), W32/Yanz.b@MM (McAfee), W32.Yanz.B@mm (Symantec), W32/Yanzi.B@mm (F-Prot)"

SUN.EXE is started by a game i was running at the time (C&C tiberian sun) im pretty sure this is safe.

FreeRAM XP.exe is unnecessary Win XP does just fine managing system memory, uninstall it.

As i stated in my original post i am using windows 2000 nt pro,i was recommended to run a memory management system but not sure if it does help me...

Acpu.exe is taking up clock cycles, no real reason to be running this.

This is an app (Active CPU) i got from this site to see what was using cpu the most,i only ran it the once

Game.exe is a virus (Dialer).

This is again started by C&C tiberian sun and is safe to my knowledge...

I am quite confident that i have no virus/spyware/trojans on my computer,as i said i read all the newbie stuff and followed all the steps months ago and run through all the important checks at least once a week to be sure ...

Would running Hijackthis or posting any logs benefit me at all ?

9. Well no the process never stops all together because it is a system process. It's cpu number should just drop to however much cpu there is in the system that is not being used. Your computer slowing down could just be a sign of its age. My 600 MhZ was a bullet when i first got it and once i got all comfortable and stuff it went from a bullet to a 5 min startup. Its all perfectly normal. If you suspect foul play you should run an anti spyware program, antivirus, and firewall. (Antivirus and firewall are always a must for all pc users. And when they run make sure you are up to date with the program itself and all definitions files are the latest availible.

10. korz

korz Private E-2

I have allways used a firewall on my computer,im currently using sygate free version which i have used for a couple of years.

I allways run anti virus,im currently using AntiVir Xp and i run trend housecall and other scans at least once a week sometimes more.

the system idle process cpu usage never seems to drop no matter how busy my computer is or what im doing,some game which ran a dream on this computer a year ago will now not run at all...

11. Is your protection software updated to the latest versions availible. Also check on the site for a newer version of the software. With adaware once it gets so far outdated it doesnt get any updates at all...period. And you phisically have to reinstall the software from the website. Or maybe its drive fragmentation. Right here on good old major geeks there is a defragmenter that works better than windows. It is called diskeeper. You should look into that maybe so you solve the games problem. Anyway what are the specs on your computer.

12. korz

korz Private E-2

yes i update them everytime i log on,my computer is on broadband connected 24/7 so its no problem for me to update automatically on every program i use...i also download the latest version whenever available...

my rough specs are
    800mhz p2
    PLE 133 (MS-6368 v2.1A)- MicroStar motherboard (i think)
    247 ram
    70gig hd
    nvidia geforce 2 pci graphics card with the latest official drivers
    i am running windows 2000 nt pro with every windows update/service pack available,latest version of ie 6 etc...
    i uninstalled the ms java following instructions on this site and got sun java instead...

i dont think defrag is the problem because when i go on windows defrag/analyse it says i do not need to defrag

13. Windows may not say you need to defrag and that was exactly the problem when i put diskeeper on my pc. The windows defragmenter said windows was in good shape then when i put in diskeeper it said that windows was a mess and i do see a performance difference after i run diskeeper. Programs load and run faster from the hd. If i were you i would give it a shot anyway and see what happens. Lemme know if this helps.

14. 247 ram
    That could also be your problem right there.

15. korz

korz Private E-2

ill try out the diskeeper when i get home later thanks for your advice :)

i dont think the memory is a problem,its way over the required specs for the games that dont run very well and they used to run just fine witht he same memory :rolleyes:

16. AYE AYE AYE!!! That my friend is one of the many reasons why windows sucks!!! (Oh wait there goes diskeeper on my computer right now lol) Especially the registry crap!!!!! But we all use windows because like nothing is made for the other two operateing systems. I have a partiton boot on my system with linux and windows. Cant get linux online but would like to. (Trust me thats a whole other story in itself)
    My tantrum about windows is over
    Anyway, try registry mechanic because maybe you have a registry problem and this automatically scans your computer and fixes any registry problems it finds in windows. Its not free but its pretty useful for cleaning out your registry. Lemme know if the defragmentation helps and if your interested in registry mechanic i can give you a link to the site. Again lemme know if that works.

17. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

2 Process managers that may help.

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/downloads/cmdline.zip

18. Well thanks bazza for the ideas. But the process were talking about here is System Idle Process which is a system process that is used by windows to show the amount of cpu cycles that are not being used. Hes gonna try diskeeper lite and if that dont work im gonna recommend him to registry mechanic. Thanks for the help though
    -the new tech guy

19. DAMMIT! (slaps head ) :rolleyes: I dunno why i didnt think of that. yeah tell us how much cpu you have in your computer being used like d3m3nted said. Good thinkin demented

20. bigbazza

Not sure I understand your reply. Process Explorer will show everything that is using CPU percentages, either at Idle state or when CPU is under load. Bazza

===

21. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

I remember that I got a problem like You, When I play music on CD at that time my computer loaded to over 70% usage of CPU on computer (p4 2g4 ram 256) it make computer so slow that I can not move my mouse then I try to set start up in MSconfig that problem was solved :confused:
    I think it happen when i disable some services or programs at start up.

22. Exactly what the person is wondering about the process called system idle process. If you hit cntrl+alt+del you click processes and its usually the bottom one and he was wondering why the process was useing so much cpu all the time. if you read the entire thread you will have a clear undersanding of what is going on.
    -the tech guy

23. korz

korz Private E-2

i just checked this tonight and it gets choppy after sometimes just 5-10 mins gameplay i alt/tabbed and checked and my cpu usage was 80-90%

i tried installing diskeeper lite and it couldnt start services,told me to check i had permission to access services,i tried logging on as admin and same error wouldnt install...

As to reccommending me to registry mechanic if u read my original post and explanation you would know that i allready use this...

thanks for all the help and response so far look forward to anymore ideas that might help me

24. korz

korz Private E-2

just tried installing diskeeper home edition and same problem...

Attached Files:

25. That is very strange. Why not try saveing the diskeeper file to a location then executeing it rather than running it straight from a temp folder.

26. Wait how do you take screnshots of your pc? I was just wondering so i can do it when i have problems.

27. korz

korz Private E-2

i did a search and found

There are three main causes of this 1920 error. The first is the Event Log service is not set to Automatic. The second is that the Diskeeper service is already installed, but disabled. The third is that the system is not recognizing a long path name when it tries to start the Diskeeper service.

first one worked for me i had to set the Event Log service to automatic then reboot and diskeeper installed fine...

this is screenshots i took of the analyze results,im about to run it and go to bed,ill get back to you on the results....

Attached Files:

28. korz

korz Private E-2

and another...
    also forgot to say i take these screenshots by pressing printscreen and then pasting them into paint or irfanview for cropping etc

Attached Files:

29. korz

korz Private E-2

ok diskeeper did nothing to improve my situation,like i thought my drive is fine and doesnt need defrag...

my cpu is still laggy

please someone help!

30. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

31. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Not necessary.

CTRL+Prt Scr = Entire Screen
    ALT+Prt Scr = Active Window

CTRL+V into your favorite graphics app and save as a bmp, jpg, or gif.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  32. korz

korz Private E-2

enough about how to take screenshots,has anyone got any more ideas to help my cpu usage problem?

33. theefool

theefool Geekified

Okay, you said you have windows 2000 and you are running really old games. How old is old? Dos era?

34. bigbazza

For the 3rd bl**dy time, install Process Explorer and tell what us the first 3 CPU users are. Defragging will help, but Process Explorer will pinpoint what is actually hogging your CPU. Bazza

===

Process manager that WILL help.

Process Explorer 9.12

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4566

35. Ok thanks guys for the tip. Anyway with the laggy system. Try what bazza said about application explorer. Then tell us what happens. And close any processes that are unnessacary. Lemme know if this helps
    the new tech guy

36. korz

korz Private E-2

ok i downloaded it here is a screenshot

Attached Files:

• k.jpg
      k.jpg
      File size:
      70.7 KB
      Views:
  37. korz

korz Private E-2

when im playing c&c tiberian sun the cpu usage averages around 85-100 after about 10 mins of gaming,this game was released when my computers specs were revatively high and used to run it very very fast with no lagg... in fact my friend has a 333mhz comp he runs the same game on fine.

is there a way to tell if the processor itself is faulty or not running right?

38. bigbazza

Please follow all the steps, in sequence, below

(1) Click on the Process column one more time, after you get the display that you showed us, far left.
    This will sort to Alphabetical sequence in an easier display to understand.
    (2) Then click on the CPU column. CPU column will then display in ascending, or descending, sequence.
    Click on CPU until you get it in descending sequence.
    Note the CPU percentage at maximum idle time. Should be >85%.
    (3) Shrink the size of the window to the top 3-4 processes.
    (4) Minimise the window to the system tray.
    (5) Start up your game.
    (6) Left click,once, on Process Explorer (in the sytem tray) and note the differences in CPU usage compared to an idle system.
    (7)Post a graphic to us, or tell us what happens.
    (8) keep using PE, popping it into action at various times during the game, to see what effect the game has on CPU cycles, at various times throughout the game.

We will solve this problem, eventually. Bazza

PS: your screenshot percentage is correct for a system at idle. Baz
    ===

39. REmember those files we saw earlier. Maybe that has something to do with it. What would happen if you stop those processes. Check if everything is still working after that. If it fixes everything that was your problem. Lemme know if this helps.

40. korz

korz Private E-2

What files we saw earlier? im sure everything was ok...

i did what u said bazza here is ss,and thanks for your help...

also i found an error report in one of my game folders that said "buggy pci bus" could this be affecting performance? i am a complete newb when it comes to things like that so please gimme some advice about that,maybe i have bad pci drivers ?

Attached Files:

41. bigbazza

Game.exe is obviously using 3/4 of your CPU cycles, which may be normal, for that game.

Maybe get a friend who plays the same game/games as you to install Porcess Explorer on their PC, for comparison.

As regards PCI bit, make sure you have the latest drivers installed. Bazza

42. wow bazza like you read my mind dude. Couldnt have put it better. Do what he says.

43. korz

korz Private E-2

it is not normal,people kick me out of games saying i lagg etc... i have played this game for 4 years+ and its never used that much cpu,when it gets bad it just stays on 100% and the computer hardly runs...
    would graphics or pci problems affect the cpu usage at all?

as to the pci drivers i have no clue sorry,i have a "PLE 133 (MS-6368 v2.1A)- MicroStar" motherboard if that helps at all.

once again thanks for the reply bazza

44. bigbazza

Download and install

Everest Home Edition, free from MG

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

(1) Then run Everest.
    (2) Click on Display,
    then click on Windows video. This will show you the video adapter installed on your PC, the related websites, and the installed drivers.
    (3) Make a written note of the Video Adapter Properties.
    (4) Click on the driver download link, search and download the latest driver, as shown in the Video Adapter Properties. This should update your driver to the latest and greatest.

As regards game.exe using 3/4 of your CPU cycles, it may be normal. The lagging you experience still could be something else on your PC causing this.

(5) As before, I suggest that you visit a friend, running the same game, download and install Process Explorer on their PC. Check and see how much CPU cycles the game uses on their PC, for comparison. Similarly specced PC's would be nice, to validate the comparison. Bazza

===

45. korz

korz Private E-2

Kool looking program Bazza i went through the steps for drivers and all is fine there.

i found a couple of things that might be a problem,ill get some pics for you to take a look at...
    it tells me to update the bios? and i noticed there is another graphics card installed,(on board graphics?) is this ok,could this affect anything?

thanks

Attached Files:

• re1.jpg
      re1.jpg
      File size:
      62 KB
      Views:
    • re2.jpg
      re2.jpg
      File size:
      28.4 KB
      Views:
  46. korz

korz Private E-2

another one...

Attached Files:

• re3.jpg
      re3.jpg
      File size:
      76 KB
      Views:
  47. bigbazza

Can't help you with hardware problem/problems.
    Usually running 2 of anything, hardware, or software, at the same time, is not a good idea. Occasionally they clash, cause conflicts, or just plain provide contradicting info.
    Has your PC always had the same hardware setup (cards), or have you added anything to your PC since you bought it?

Hardware guys, please step in. Bazza

48. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Games use most of your cpu resources, and are designed that way. Otherwise, the game would run poorly if it wasn't using your cpu's full potential. Note UT2003 on my system.

Attached Files:

• ut.jpg
      ut.jpg
      File size:
      77.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2005
  49. Wait with the game lagging. What who is your isp? Im not sure where but i think its somewhere on cnet you can do a connection test to see the speed of your connetion. I know that a few times verizon has bumped down our internet connection speed. All you do if that is the case call your isp and explain the problem and they should fix it then. Do a check again once the isp has fixed the problem to make sure they fixed it cause sometimes you have to call a few times before they actually fix it. Just run the check and make sure your connection speed is what your isp says it is.
    the new tech guy.

50. Oh yeah regarding your two vga cards being seen on your computer. Are your cards intergrated or hooked up through pci?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds