My Turn! XP Will not reboot

Discussion in 'Software' started by Major Attitude, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Out of the blue, will not help if I post recently installed software as I add too much here. The other day my machine has decided it will not shut down or reboot. It THINKS it is shutting down, because all apps stop working, and who knows, if I wait 10 minutes it might shut down, but it wont within a few minutes. Anyone here bumped into this? Im assuming a registry problem.

Thanks!

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No shutdown in Safe Mode as well?

3. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

yep had the same exact problem ; it was on an asus board (a7n266e i think); i recall there was a website with registry files to change stuff around in windows; one of them fixed a 'known' issue w/wxp not shutting down ; downloaded applied and worked like a charm (for shutting down anyways) there is also an article @ microsoft.com that if you email em' they will send you a 'registry fix' for the reboot problem...emailed em 10x and no reply though :mad: Good luck!

4. Major Attitude

Did not try that to be honest. Would not be a bad place to start I guess.

5. Major Attitude

Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  6. Major Attitude

Decided to do some more digging, found out some programs enable the clear virtual memory pagefile, so checking into that as a possibility.

7. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Shutdown problems in Windows XP can be caused by many factors, just like earlier versions of Windows. These included: a damaged exit sound file; incorrectly configured, damaged, or incompatible hardware; conflicting programs, or an incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver.

This might be of help to you

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

8. Major Attitude

Read most of that, I shut down and went for a smoke and it rebooted, so looks like a time thing. Its possible the fix above I mentioned solved it, will find out next reboot or shutdown. What do you guys have for the waittokillapptimeout in your registry?

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

20000 here. That should be default, if we are talking about the same key.

11. Major Attitude

Thanks man! Will take a look. It looks like its on about a minute delay, which leads me towards WaitToKillAppTimeout... I already closed all programs, still diagnosing it with some basics.

My timeout was set to 1,000. Your sounds like default, which is 20 seconds.

12. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

20000 here too
    I made the mistake of trying that reg tweak once, took for-f'in-ever to shutdown, so I changed it back. :p

13. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Mine's a 20 second default value also and no probs with shutdown.

14. Major Attitude

I think Driver Heavens TuneXP was last thing I ran and its been screwy since I chose the optimize boot, too bad I dont see a way to revert back :) I might clean install and narrow it down to this program so I know for sure and can warn others.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds