My USB HD Now Thinks It Is a USB Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the skeezix, Dec 15, 2009.

1. the skeezix

the skeezix Corporal

OS = Vista Home Premium
    USB Hard Drive = WD 5000 AAB
    Partitioning (Name) = E: "Music"; F: "Scratch"; G: "Backups"
    This HD has been working reliably for a year.

PROBLEM:

After formatting a USB "stick" I discovered that the formatting process made the stick "E:". I had no more F: or G:

After reboot, MyComputer shows E: to be the "stick", and no F: or G:. It also shows up on another computer (WIN XPSP2) as E: with no F: or G: partitions.

I ran PC-Tools (came with my computer). Here is the identification results:

*Device Identification*
    *Vendor ID*4184
    *Device ID*4352
    *Manufacturer*Western Digital
    *Serial Number*57442D574D41535530373231313636
    *Device-Specific Properties*
    *USB Version*2.0.0
    *Device Version*1.6.5
    *Total Capacity*465.76 GB
    *Drive Letter*E
    *Volume Name*NO.0:UNFOR
    *Volume Serial Number*8473-0668
    *File System*FAT
    *Volume Capacity*1.39 MB
    *Volume Free Space*1.39 MB
    *Volume Used Space*1.00 kB

Note that although the Total Capacity is 465 GB, the Volume Free Space is only 1.4 MB. Also, the Volume Name is no longer "Music", but "NO.0:UNFOR".

If somebody could help me retrieve the files (I believe they still live on the drive) I would really be grateful. I do have a bit more info if it would help.

2. skolor

skolor Private E-2

If you right click on my computer and go to Manage, and then go into Disk management, what does it say about the hard drive there?

3. the skeezix

the skeezix Corporal

It says:

NO.0:UNFOR E:
    465.76 GB FAT
    Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)

Another external USB drive that I just put in line reports (Healthy, (Primary Partition). No "Active" and I'll bet that's a clue right there.

I've since received confirmation that neither the drive nor my system are at fault. The applet I was given to format a USB stick is the cause. Apparently it boogered the partition table.:eek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds