My usb3.0 port will not recognize 3.0 devices

Discussion in 'Software' started by 1user, Mar 30, 2013.

1. 1user

1user Private E-2

My Asus laptop suddenly does not recognize any 3.0 usb devices in the 3.0 port. 2.0 devices will still operate in that port. Anyone know why this would happen all of the sudden? I already reinstalled the driver for the 3.0 port which is what Asus told me to do but it didn't change anything.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

what are the devices?

What does device manager show when they are hooked up?

3. 1user

1user Private E-2

My 3.0 flash drive and my 3.0 Seagate portable drive do not work in that port, but do work in the 2.0 ports. It did not used to be this way. When I plug them in the 3.0 port, nothing appears on the computer at all. I do hear the portable drive start spinning though, so I know it getting power.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

See my second question. :)

5. 1user

1user Private E-2

Device Manager does not show anything when theyre hooked up because the computer acts like theyre not hooked up at all. I cannot even safely remove device because it does not know it is there.

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Try UNINSTALLING the 3.0 drivers, then reboot, then install them again.

7. 1user

1user Private E-2

How do I know which drivers to delete? The Device Manager shows something like 8 or 10 usb.

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The driver for the USB device. Once you delete one, it will delete from the other ports. It is a one driver does all kind of thing.

9. 1user

1user Private E-2

My laptop only has one usb 3.0 port. The other ports are 2.0 and are not having any problems. I don't know much about this device manager. I would really appreciate being able to use the 3.0 port again but don't want to take a chance on ruining the the other ones.

10. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

It's very simple. Open Device Manager, uninstall ALL USB ports/devices. Reboot, and they will reinstall automatically (Windows will detect them, and think they are "new" devices, and install them for you). An internet connection is recommended to be sure Windows is able to find and load the proper drivers.

Additionally, go to the ASUS website and download the (latest) USB 3.0 driver, and install that as well.

Once all of your USB drivers are re-installed (do not connect any USB devices), do a Shut Down (complete power off) of the computer, then turn it back on, and the drivers should be good.

If this does not resolve your problem, then it's likely that the actual port is faulty (hardware problem).

11. 1user

1user Private E-2

Unfortunately, it did not work so I guess it's not an easy fix. Thanks for trying to help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds