My Windows XP System Information (Msinfo32.exe) Tool doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Software' started by thai_american_42, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thai_american_42

thai_american_42 Corporal

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. thai_american_42

1. "Msinfo32 - System Information (Error or Missing)"

I looked over the suggestions at "Msinfo32 - System Information (Error or Missing)" at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm. I have an index.dat at C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\index.dat, but it is for Creative Media, not Msinfo3. I wouldn't know how to "restore" it, anyways. When I run msinfo32, I do not get the help center. In fact, nothing happens. Also, I don't run Spider. The advise at "Msinfo32 - System Information (Error or Missing)" didn't help.

2. "Can't Open Msinfo32"

The Start/Run checkpoints had no response. I don't know how to Create a batch file. I verified my Regedit settings. (Also, I found msinfo32.exe in my computer at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe and clicked on the .exe file, but nothing happened). I do not get the Error Message: "Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Might Be Corrupted." I used msconfig in an attepmt to replace my Boot.ini, but it didn't fix the problem. (I received a notice saying the BOOT.INI file does not refer to a valid operating system "C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons". I removed if from the BOOT.INI file, but that didn't fix the MSInfo32 problem.)

3. If you have other suggestion on how to fix this problem, please post here. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  4. thai_american_42

On reflection of my above efforts, I think that the problem is that the index.dat file for Msinfo32.exe is missing from my C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache folder. If you know how to restore the index.dat file for Msinfo32.exe, please let me know. Thanks.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try the putting the attached file which is the index.dat from my XP SP3 PC into that location.

If not then try from a command prompt sfc /scannow and you may need your XP CD, but it should hopefully replace any missing system files.

Also have you scanned for malware?

Attached Files:

6. FrGeorge

FrGeorge Private E-2

halo's index.dat works great!!

Thanks. Fr. George

7. David74437

David74437 Private E-2

I have a similar problem. I type msinfo32 into run on windows xp and nothing happens, but you can tell it tried to do something. However unlike thai I do have that index file. I tried replacing mine with that one but nothing changed. I believe this may have been caused by a crash years ago where I had to re-instal windows XP service pack 2 onto my computer again after taking my PC to a friends house and having windows not start up (Now running service pack 3), The only thing I noticed that also broke was my ethernet driver which I know I used to have before the crash.

However all I need msinfo32 for is to check the bios version so if there is another way to check then that would be great.

8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Kindly don't post in a thread from 6 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds