My wireless has completely disabled itself...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GStam66, Jun 20, 2007.

1. GStam66

GStam66 Private First Class

Hey guys i have a dell Inspiron E1505. I left my laptop for a few minutes and when i came back my wireless light was off and i got a message saying that "No supported wireless adapters available in the system." WTF is it talking about??? about 5 minutes ago there was a "supported wireless adapter"!!

I tried manually activating the wifi (pressing the Fn key and the wireless key (F2)) but got nothing.

How does something like this just happen, and how do i fix it?? I kinda need my wireless.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. GStam66

nah that didnt do much, theres a little yellow bubble and exclamation point next to the wireless adapter in the device manager.

i tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, nothing.

4. GStam66

think it could be an issue with the card itself?

5. GStam66

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

6. GStam66

I tried repairing it, everything except the "prelogon connect" and "administrator toolkit" was ok. Those two had "not present" under their states. Does that mean anything?

this is annoying. How does it just stop workin??

7. GStam66

well, dell sent me a new network card, i put it in, and started it up. The wireless light came on for a splitsecond, then shut off.... dammit. So it still didnt work. any ideas what to try now?

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Get an external card, and ditch the internal.

9. GStam66

well what do i do with where the internal one goes? theres still 2 wires that will just be dangling there.

and will dell give me an external as a replacement if they originally put in an internal? or am i stuck buyin my own?

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Nope, you are stuck buying your own. Basically, the two wires are for the Antenna. If they are not connected right, your Internal Wireless card will not work.

11. GStam66

well what do the wires connect to? the external card? im pretty sure i put the things on right on the new internal card.

What im tryin to ask is that if u have an external card, what do u do with the wires that went to the internal card?

12. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Sounds like you need to reinstall the driver. "theres a little yellow bubble and exclamation point next to the wireless adapter in the device manager" Windows can see it, it just doesn't know how to communicate with it.
    Bug

13. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Nothing, due to they are for the antenna for the internal card.

14. GStam66

well the dell tech is sayin ill have to reformat the computer to fix this, using PC Restore. That it will surely fix the problem. But im not exactly a fan of losing all my saved data. He suggests its a problem with the registry cause its recognizing the card, but not activating it.

Plus, we found a network thing listed in the device manager that said "cisco systems VPN adapter". it had a little red x next to it and underneath was the intel 3945abg with the yellow bubble and exclamation point.

Any ideas that dont involve me losing all my information? haha. Or will just buying an external card fix everything? I cant find one on the dell site that would be compatible with my laptop tho.

15. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Suggestion, Do not listen to the Dell Tech. He does not know what the hell he is talking about. What errors are shown in Event log, and what particularly is the error shown in the properties for the device?

As for the Cisco VPN, that would be a download that you must of downloaded with third party software.

16. GStam66

Hmm, when i right clicked the intel 3945 card, and selected properties it said "adapter state not found in registry".

the error log is attached, i dunno where else to look for clues where it went wrong.

Attached Files:

17. GStam66

and it says the device status is this: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

18. GStam66

dell is still pushin for a reformat... theres gotta be another way. They think the registry got effed up

19. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

There is, due to Dell is Effed up.

20. GStam66

Im tempted to just bring the laptop to a repair shop and just pay em whatever to fix it. This seems like such an easy fix, except i dunno how to do it myself. Its not hardware related from what i can deduce, so odds are its something software related, which means it can be uninstalled/deleted/reinstalled/updated/tweaked/etc. Just what to go in and mess with.... the registry?

21. GStam66

bump? The dell dude just called again yesterday askin if i backed up all my data for the restore. I told him "dude, im not wiping out everything cause theres a little problem with the wireless..."

Somebody? Anybody?

22. GStam66

BUMP confused :cry

23. mgbk

mgbk Private E-2

Hi... Did you remember running some tool to do registry defrag for system optimization? I also got into same problem today. I did run "Premium Booster" 2 days ago. Not sure if that caused it or my network card is dead... Just started searching on net and saw your post....

Will post if i find something. Do let me know your experience...

24. GStam66

I dont remember running any kinda registry thing, all i know is that its been over a month, and still no wireless solution... i need this thing running by the time classes start. :cry

25. alastair100

alastair100 Private E-2

My wireless card has just died - an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Net in a Toshiba Satellite. I came across this thread when looking for reasons. I'll let you know if I find any solution...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds