My Wireless Network Sucks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iWii, Sep 28, 2012.

1. iWii

iWii Private E-2

We have a free router from our ISP so we're pretty locked down on what we can do with it and we can't really run cables around. We've changed the channels around and got it as best as we could. Problem is my network keeps cutting out so gaming is pretty much out.

I've tried making a cantenna and a higher DBI antenna which seemed to help a bit but it's still not helping that much.

I started looking into ways of increasing the wireless network. There are some really long cables but we'd end up tripping over them. I was looking at wifi repeaters which I could put between the rooms or I could get a second line and another router put in. That would be more expensive but I'd know for a fact it would work.

Has anyone used a repeater before? I'm wondering how well they'd work because it would at least be cheaper than a full other router.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2012
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I don't use a repeater but I do use a Power over Ethernet adapter. POE.
    I have a POE unit attached to the router on the 1st floor, with a short ethernet cable and then a POE plugged into an outlet in the basement. (I prefer wired to wireless on my husband's two computers). I have a 4 port switch attached to the POE so his two computers can be wired. Again the wires are short because the electric outlet is near the computers.
    I also bought another POE unit and put it on the opposite side of the basement. I can attach a 3rd computer there if I need too.

Similar to my NetGear POE unit: http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-XAVB2...owerline+av+200+ultra+adapter+kit+xavb200+new
    I bought it at BestBuy.
    Later I purchased a single unit to extend the capability, a refurbed through NewEgg.

The only caution: check your main circuit box because both POE units should be plugged into outlets on the same side of the circuit breaker box.

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Depending on how many cable or phone (DSL) jacks you have in your home, you might also try moving the modem/router box to a different area to see if it improves the signal.

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds