Mysterious "no sound" problem!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Amjad, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Hello everyone, I hope you are fine.

I just want to explain the mysterious problem I had today.
    My friend's computer is not playing any sound. But there is no software or hardware failure (as you will see from the evidences i will show you)

First of all, the sound card is working properly, and the driver is installed.
    Second, when you open a music track, the application (WMP or others) will just open and start playing without referring to any problems (sound card or codecs).
    Of course I made sure there is no mute clicked here and there (I'm sure).

I will provide suitable images for the situation hoping that will come to a solution.

Attached Files:

2. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

4th image...

Attached Files:

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Not real familiar with Via sound, but is there another Default choice for playback? I see Wave there, thinking it may be the wrong option.
    If there is give it a try.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Plug a headset in. Can you hear sound?

5. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

No I can. I tried everything, headset, speakers...:cry

6. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Yes you are right, there's no Master Volume, but I don't know why. I'll try removing and reinstalling the drivers.

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Also, check that Windows Audio Service is started.
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked.

8. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Thank you for this important note. I am not close to that computer now. I will try it and report the results.

9. dnnyo

dnnyo Private First Class

Hey and Hi Musksnipe,
    I maybe on the wrong thread (I had it bookmarked and I still have problems,,, I'm searching related threads)
    I know previously you suggested I check my connections on my sound card and I'm going to get around to that soon,
    meanwhile, the strange thing is my audio came on two times out of the clear blue sky?
    Then disappeared again!
    1st time was when I clicked on a random video... and sound came on???
    then off again...
    then when I downloaded a new program...
    I think it was a driver for a three step installation package for F@H or whatever, (I have too many projects going :-D)
    but suddenly I hear my speakers playing "the theme from Windows starting up"!
    then it quit again???
    I would suspect a bad connection... but why would it start and stop with no jostling, I mean I haven't moved my tower around lately,
    I'm going to remove the case and reposition it on my desk.
    Thanks, I believe you're the 'go to' audio guy_ :highfive

Attached Files:

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Didn't you say your PC took a train ride around the time your sound quit?
    It's best to post any extra info in your thread, as I am busy at times and only check threads I am working on and are recent at those times.

11. dnnyo

dnnyo Private First Class

Yeah, but audio worked for quite a while after the train ride.
    Then I was sharing speakers with a friend (like taking turns), and often going without any speakers.
    That's when one day I plugged in the speakers and no sound.
    Then I was busy with malware problem (unrelated, i think, but time consuming)
    Then I got brand new speakers.
    So now malware is gone and I'm trying to figure out this audio problem.
    I will follow your steps from that other thread and get back later.
    Thanks again.
    (I guess I should stick with one thread and stay with it instead of posting all scattered:banghead around)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds