Mysterious Wireless Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crabbypatty, Apr 4, 2008.

1. crabbypatty

crabbypatty Private E-2

I've searched the threads and realize that this same question has been posted with different specifics but I can't seem to find an answer for my problem.

I bought a Trend wireless USB for my laptop so it could connect through my desktop and its Belkin router. By default it connected to another wireless network with a name I don't recognize (a neighbor?) I tried to configure it so it would only connect through my secure wireless connection and it worked for a day. Now it doesn't allow Firefox to display a web page at all but it is still connecting through the unknown network and allows AVG and Windows updates. I tried reconfigure it but fear I'm compounding the problem. Is there anyone who can help me?

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

You should check on available wireless connections.
    start>control panel>network connections> double click on "Wireless Network Connection" and click on "View Wireless Connections".
    You can disconnect/connect to any available connection there.

3. crabbypatty

crabbypatty Private E-2

It shows that I have one available connection, the mysterious connection and it shows that I'm connected but my browser is not connecting.

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I am assuming that the desktop is connected to a wireless Belkin router wirelessly, rather than hardwired to the router.
    That is correct?

If so, the only thing that I can think of is that your USB antenna is on a different frequency than the router.
    i.e.: 802.11 g receiver might not locate an 802.11 b router

5. Hoobert

Hoobert Private E-2

If you are using this in an older building then there may be complications with certain materials in the walls blocking the radio waves required to make a connection with the router. I have this problem with my PC.
    (old house with chicken wire in the walls, this can be tested with a portable radio)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  6. crabbypatty

crabbypatty Private E-2

Fixed it!

Turns out that my firewall was blocking my browser. :eek: Thanks anyway guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds