Mysteriously blocked website

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hankyknot, Feb 4, 2006.

1. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

For some strange reason that is beyond me I am unable to access a certain website, and any subsite 90% of the time. I have turned off all firewalls, skipped the router and wireless and still I cant get the site. Yet I know the site is up because I can reach it from anywhere else.

Is there a setting on my PC that I'm missing or is it possble that the site is blocking me? It shouldnt be, they do the hosting for all my websites and it would be great to view their home page and to log into the control panels for my sites.

Any ideas?

btw CWShredder, HiJack This, AVG, SPySweeper and STinger all reported no problems at this end.

2. dedub

dedub Corporal

Just a guess, but could they have blocked the whole subnet your on?
    I would try this also.... ping the website by name and see if you can get an ip either on your computer or one that acually works using a browser. Type that Ip into your browser and see if the site pops up. If it does than you have DNS issues.

Lastly, try a different browser like F.F. and see if that makes a difference.

3. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

Spot on, the ping timed out with no response.

So, uh, what now? Tried flushing the dns cache via ipconfig but to no avail.

4. dedub

dedub Corporal

OK, I would still ask a friend to ping it so you can get the IP and type that into a browser. You can not confirm that it's DNS until you do that. At this point it still could be either (blocked subnet or dns).

get back with us

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds