"Necessary/Unnecessary" Programs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Jan 26, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Is this really something that I need on my machine, please --> Modem Diagnostic Tool (from Dell)"? It takes-up WHOPPING 4GB (3.99) of space, and if I don't need it, I would like to purge it.

Also, do I need this "PowerDVD" program that came with the machine? I have been using Media Player for my media, and am afraid to try something else as I tend to find them all (programs of this sort) rather confusing.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

Wow it does, 4GB of space for modem diagnostics, that a tad overkill! you are on broadband if I remember correctly and you really dont need a Dell tech connecting to your PC to fix dial up modem issues do you? I would remove (but do a system restore point first) and most of the space could be logs and/or any logs from connections from Dell techs if you initiated a support call.

PowerDVD does add the DVD playing Codecs to your PC and is a good backup media player for video/film, but if you dont use is then remove, do you still have the media disks that came with PC with PowerDVD on them?

3. icekool

icekool Private E-2

Hi grc, this thread caught my eye as I am a fanatical deleter of what I hope is unecessary stuff, I just looked and found the same program on my Dell desktop and it only takes up (or registers as taking up) 1.62 MB which sounds about right to me. So I don't know why it might show as taking up so much space, but I would say that the advice given above by Halo sounds pretty good and I will be getting rid of this app now as I only use broadband and only got the modem in the first place as a kind of backup for connecting to the net.

Also wanted to say that the Power DVD program works really nicely on my machine, giving a seriously clear & detailed picture and sound for DVD playback

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi David - Thanks. This PC has never been on Dial-Up, and I do not recall any calls to Dell concerning this machine - though it is "possible" that calls were made, as a former roommate had exclusive access to the machine for weeks at a time last year, and I can see from the Reliability & Performance Monitor that she DID, in fact, have problems...she performed multiple hard-shutdowns (due to freezes/lockups).

I just double-checked, and yes, the Modem Dx Tool is taking 3.99 Gigs - top of the list when I list by "Size".

I think I best leave PowerDVD alone for now, and handle one thing at a time.
    OH, I meant to ask; this Tool (Modem Dx) is only for dial-up - correct?

5. DavidGP

Hi Glenn

If its this one HERE then yes just for DUN Modem, still very curious at nearly 4GB file size, even Windows 98 didnt install to that sort of space.

would you have a screenshot of the page when you see size? and what type of files are in the folder? just a random sample of various file types will do, as just wondering if many are logs.

6. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi, thanks...unfortunately, I am about to head-out for a meeting, but should return within an hour-to-hour-and-a-half (though I understand that-that may be late for you?).

The "3.99 GB" I am referring to is what I see in Vista's Programs & Features (Add/Remove in XP).

It will take ol' Glenn here awhile to find the folder, and to take a screenshot. Though you teach me 'how-to' on the screenshot (and again, thank you!), it's been awhile, and I don't often find occasion to practice it......

7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I really have no idea where to find the Modem Dx Tools folder/files.

I have poked-around (looked-around) in "C" but I don't see anything there that looks right. I'm supposing that it would be in a Dell folder?

Can someone give me an idea please? I think I could get a screenshot of the Programs & Features list (to display here), but not sure if that is wise from a security standpoint (?).

Thanks in advance...

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Well...here goes nothin'........

Attached Files:

9. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Pardon please...not intending to bump, just trying to present a better screenshot.

Attached Files:

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

There is something wrong with here. The latest version (Vista compatible) is 4M not 4G

http://dell-modem-diagnostic-tool.software.informer.com/

It is however one of the oldest things on the list. I suggest you Email Dell support and ask them. I assume it came with the PC in Jan08 in which case they are still responsible.

11. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you. And you assume correctly. I will contact them now. Thanks again...

12. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok, the Dell Tech ("Jasmine", who was very nice), said to just go ahead and remove/uninstall it (the Modem Dx Tool), and said it was probably that large due to service requests, though this PC has never been connected to dial-up service. So, "who knows (?)" why it is so big (?).

I just wanted to check-back here to see if I should do anything special to COMPLETELY remove this, or just the standard Windows (Vista Home) uninstall, maybe followed-up with Revo Uninstaller, which I already have on this machine?

Thanks again...

13. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Waite until one of the others confirms this, but generally speaking, if you want to completely remove something from the system just use Revo Uninstaller and skip the Windows Add/Remove. After running Revo Uninstaller run CCleaner just for good measure. When using Revo, make sure you only delete the bolded registry entries.

14. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Roger that. Am fairly-familiar with Revo, and will wait for some further confirmation - thank you for the response...

15. DavidGP

Hi Glenn

I use Revo and dont see it will harm anything, may actually work better as Add/Remove just uses the applications uninstaller, but Revo can clear up left over registry entries.

Thought it may have been log files, could be autoupdate or could have been your former roommate placed the support calls.

16. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Your Java needs an update, too.:wave

17. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I had noticed that during this process and have updated Sun/Java - thank you!

Very good - thanks as always David!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds