Need a Harddrive to complete my build.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Woodsie, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Woodsie

Woodsie Private E-2

I am on the verge of FINALLY completing my new p.c. build and the only thing I have left to purchase is an internal hardrive.

If it helps, here is what I have purchased thusfar...

+ Radeon X800XL 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card
    + Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory
    + GigaByte GA-K8NSC-939 Motherboard

I would like to purchase my new harddrive at newegg.com but with all the technical questions they ask, I'm not sure which brand or model would be the best choice....Here are the fields to be filled....manufacturer, cache, interface, capacity, rpm, and form factor.

The only thing I'm sure of is the capacity which I'd like between 160-200 GB.

Can anyone aide me in this one? I'd GREATLY appreciate it.

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

if you have money go for the western digital raptor

otherwise, they're mostly the same. get a sata drive though, as they're a touch faster than pata. and 8mb cache is way more than enough.

3. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Flee WD at all costs. If you can lay hands on a Seagate, do it. I had a ten-year old Western Digital that died a few years after I got it, but I've got an equally aged Seagate, and it's still going strong. It's running on thirteen years now.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

To base your buying decisions on one experience doesnt make sense,hardrive failures are mostly due to the way they have been treated,overheating and power surges.

The first girl I tried to kiss slapped me but it didnt stop me from buying another :)

5. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Maxtor, Hitachi, or Seagate are my personal recommendations.

6. Woodsie

Woodsie Private E-2

thanks for the help everyone, here's the one I'm leaning towards

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JS 200GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

will this suffice or can u recommend a better one based on what specs I've given you for my other parts build?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds