Need A New Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I'm still using Lotus 1-2-3, written in the 90s but still working (mostly) in Win 10. The only reason I'm still using it is because you can embed text in formulae and that makes reading a complex spreadsheet a heck of a lot easier. So +"apples"+2 +"pears"+3 works fine. In all other spreadsheets I've tried this produces an error. Does anyone know how to get a similar effect in Excel or know of another spreadsheet in which you can do this?

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Earthling,

Did you try LibreOffice Calc?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Earthling

Been trying a few not so used functions in Excel to replicate this, no avail yet, CONCAT and TEXTJOIN dont seem to work, with the sample you gave that is all you need to type in a cell to gain a value answer in another cell of 5?

Simplest but crude and longass way would be in each cell to right click Format Cell > Custom and click General and add "Text" in front then a space e.g "Apples" General and that will format the cell that whatever data is added it gives a Apples # result, but I get the feeling this is not what you want.

Likely one of those I'd need to see a working sheet with sample data.

4. Earthling

Here you go David -

Lotus 1-2-3.PNG

I've tried many times over the years to crack this but it doesn't seem there is anything else that can do it. I actually prefer 1-2-3 to Excel in a number of ways but I feel I really need to get proficient with Excel and that won't happen until I start using it or a clone on a regular basis. I find it hard though to imagine using a spreadsheet that doesn't have this handy feature.

In the example, removing the quotes is interpreted as references to cells named apples and pears and would only give the answer 5 if both named cells had a value of zero.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  5. Earthling

Just about to install it in a Win 10 VM

6. Earthling

It appeared to install OK but when I run it I just get a blank window, so reverting atm. It does look like a Excel clone so very unlikely it can do what I need. Did you test this function yourself?

7. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

No, I didn't test it myself. I don't run VM either so, I don't know what the issue is there. I just offered it as a suggestion. The other would have been OpenOffice.

8. Earthling

OK, OpenOffice is another Excel clone and it definitely doesn't work in that. Looks to me like the need to be Excel compatible has restricted the development of spreadsheets. Pity MS rather than Lotus/IBM won the spreadsheet battle. Not the first time superior marketing has downed a superior product.

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

FYI...
    LibreOffice is based on OpenOffice.
    OpenOffice is now Apache OpenOffice.
    OpenOffice Premium is now OxygenOffice Professional.

That latter is not as actively developed/supported as the former two.
    If the unusual function/feature Earthling requires isn't available in MSO Excel, it wont be available in the former two.

The same happened to WordPerfect. :eek:

10. DavidGP

Tried a few times and cannot replicate that in Excel in any of the formulas I tried. Thing with Excel is you likely need a =[command] to run a formula. Excel is great and I use it a lot in work to drag data from Access to put in a presentation format, conditional formatting is awesome, but it has some limitations that 1-2-3 didnt have like formula based options like you mentioned, in Excel you would have to have a Apple and Pear cell then a value then a =SUM total cell.

11. PCRacer

PCRacer Private E-2

This is the best answer I can come up with.

[​IMG]

I currently use SSuite Accel Spreadsheet and it seems to be able to do what you are looking for. Instead of using quotes, brackets seem to work just perfectly.

This spreadsheet is also listed here at MajorGeeks for download.

I hope this works for you. :)

12. PCRacer

PCRacer Private E-2

Sorry to disappoint, but the above example does not work, I forgot to delete the cells named pears and apples, tried again on a new spreadsheet, does NOT work.

My apologies. Unless you add the named cells for your descriptions, it does not work!

13. Earthling

Thanks for the effort :) 1-2-3 suddenly stopped showing graphs on my main Win 10 system and I've had to change it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 98 to get them back. Oddly though my laptop Win 10 still shows them when running in normal mode. Both systems are fully updated. Given its age I guess I'm lucky it runs at all but boy, will I miss it if it becomes unusable. Loads of really serious stuff on it - I'm an accountant.

DavidGP likes this.
  14. DavidGP

You work with accounts in Panama? :O)

Glad its working ok for you now in compat mode but cannot thing of a workaround in Excel yet, will at times keep thinking of options as it helps me, lov e when folk pose new Excel or any Office queries as it maybe something I may use in the future.

15. Earthling

David, after a lifetime in this business nothing about people and their money ever surprises you. ;)

Eldon and DavidGP like this.
  16. DavidGP

Indeed Bernard it does not at all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds