Need a recommendation for monitoring software.

Discussion in 'Software' started by souredspirit, Apr 11, 2015.

1. souredspirit

souredspirit Private First Class

Small business owner, I received a complaint from an employee that another employee had an inappropriate desktop background, and my company is starting to get large enough where these things could happen all the time. I'd like to know about them ahead of time.

What I am looking for is an all-in-one solution that will log keystrokes, pws, allow remote access/remote viewing, record browser history, search history, and possibly even screen record video prefered, but interval screen captures work too. Also thumbnails to all websites visited etc.

I would like all of this to be done without a subscription, all google gives me are these stupid "catch your cheating spouse" garbage software solutions for some asinine monthly fee.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. souredspirit

Sorry I just had another thought on this as well, I would also like to be able to remotely activate the webcam built into these computers where applicable, so I can see people working and not sleeping in their cubicle.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

The features you are looking for will not be free. I found 1 application but it monitors only 3 PCs.

http://activtrak.com/

This one has no monthly/yearly subscription - a one-off fee, based on the number of PCs, is payable.

http://www.employee-monitoring-software.cc/purchase-center.html

Here is a comparison/review of 10 Employee Monitoring Softwares. Spector costs just $135.00

http://employee-monitoring-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

And here's an article you should read.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199039/employee_monitoring_when_it_asked_to_spy.html

4. C0rhHusk3r

C0rhHusk3r Private First Class

The last place I worked before retiring had network management software that would do most of what you are asking about (not sure about keystrokes or webcam activation). But it most certainly wasn't free (or even cheap). We were a U.S. defense contractor with classified projects, so security was taken quite seriously.

But there are things that can be done for free to help with the problem. The simplest ones are user permissions and administrative controls. Except for a handful of employees (like me) using software furnished by the Government and not supported by our IT staff, no employee could have programs installed that were not on IT's approved list. Nor could they make any changes to their computer or install anything at all (not even a screensaver or desktop background). Some lower-level employees with no business need to do so couldn't download anything or even access the internet.

Employees' legal rights were not an issue - the company owned the computers and network, and the Government owned all work products.
    Employees agreed in writing to our resource-use policy as a condition of employment. Most had security clearances as well, so other sanctions were available if required, up to and including arrest.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  5. Eldon

Here's a possible solution that wont cost you a cent.
    On every PC create a new User Account with full administrative rights and a password. Share the password only with your most senior employee. Also, write down the password and keep it at home. Change the existing account on every PC to a standard account with limited access.
    For the employees who must have internet access, install Moxilla Forefox. There is a huge community that can advise you how to allow access only to certain sites.
    This might not be an ideal solution but, it's a start, free and you don't have to waste time monitoring what your employees do.

PS In writing, inform all employees that they may not access your user account on the PCs. There's always 1 wiseguy who'll try to crack your password.

6. souredspirit

Thank you all for the information, I'll do some reading and put what I find to good use. All employees will be informed of this prior to use, we already have a standard user account/site blocking system in place however we do use a lot of generated web accounts for free advertising, (I know, I'm the devil). So blocking email by blocking domain names is out...

I have a follow-up question though concerning something else that came to mind, is Virtual Network Recording a viable option, it pretty much can be set to take interval-timed screen shots about the same as print screen does, or even do full video recording of the activity as they do it. We do customer service, so while I may be able to see what my employees type with a keylogger, I cant tell if they actually answered their customers question without seeing it as we just use a basic built in website messenger.

7. Eldon

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds