Need advice for spam/security software for Outlook Express 6

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jillyfish, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Jillyfish

Jillyfish Private E-2

I receive a lot of spam and phishing emails in OE 6. Many are fake phishing emails that I assume are coming from my usage of ebay as they look like official ebay emails but aren't. I do know how to set up mail rules to block some spam but it doesn't stop all of them. I am concerned as someone tried to make an unauthorized $1200.00 charge on my CC last month. Luckily my CC company caught it and did not allow the charge to go through and issued me a new CC. This has me thinking about how I can possibly tighten up security? I have Windows ME, IE 6, Norton Anti-virus 2003, Sygate firewall, Spyware blaster.

I see that Majorgeeks has many freeware and shareware spam/security programs for OE 6. Anybody use any of these? Any recommendations?

2. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

I've been quite pleased with SpamFighter (http://www.majorgeeks.com/SPAMfighter_d4316.html) which has 'Pick' beside it in the listing. Very occasionally it creates a folder called 'Old Spam' in the Deleted folder and puts the suspected spam in there instead of putting it in the Spamfighter folder but that's a minor issue.

It's quite simple to use - it adds another toolbar to Outlook/Outlook Express which is very straightforward to use. You can also take tutorials on their site which are very helpful.

I very rarely find spam in my inbox and rarely have mail go to my spam folder.

One of the reasons that it's so effective is because if someone does get spam, they click a block button in the toolbar and the information about the spam email gets sent to the SpamFighter server which then filters it for every user. Every user contributes to controlling it for everyone.

You can use the free version if you choose - that means that every email (after your first month) will have a plug for Spamfighter down the bottom of it. That didn't actually worry me anyway; I added my own little note before the month was up to make sure people I knew would find out because I considered it an excellent program for non-computer savvy friends.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds