Need advice for system used in MAME arcade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Champ, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Champ

Champ Private E-2

I'm in the process of building a MAME arcade. I've got the the cabinet, the interface, and controls figured out, but would like some advice on the componets for the computer. For those that don't know, MAME stands for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. Basically a MAME arcade is one that uses a standard computer, and then uses a program to emulate a real arcade allowing you to play authentic arcade roms. (that you legally own). These emulators don't require a very large system, hence I'm building a sub $400 one for it. Also due to these being such old games, the video and sound cards are not real important for anything other than relieving the processor a little.

Anyways, here's what I'm planning on going with. Any constructive input and recommendations for alternate componets are welcome. Does anyone see any problems that I might encounter with these:

Case (yes I know that it's cheap, but it has a lot of good reviews. Due to the fact that this system will be running 24/7 I'm sure I will have to buy a new PSU soon after it goes into service. Any recommendations on a cheap, yet dependable replacement):
    APEX PC-115 Beige Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - Retail

MotherBoard:
    ECS 760GX-M Socket 754 SiS 760 GX Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CPU:
    AMD Sempron 64 2800+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor Model SDA2800BXBOX - Retail

RAM (I choose 1 stick instead of two, because with the MOBO, you can't use 2 dual ranked sticks for DDR400) :
    CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model VS512MB400 - Retail

Hard Drive:
    Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JD 200GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Video Card (Picked this one because I need the S-video out, so that I can use a television):
    eVGA 128-P1-NV94 Geforce MX4000 128MB DDR PCI Video Card - Retail

Sound Card (I figured that a sound card couldn't hurt, because I'll be using a Monsoon MM2000 surround system for the arcade):
    Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24bit 70SB041000000 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

DVD Rom drive:
    LITE-ON Beige IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model SOHD-16P9S - Retail

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

3. Champ

Champ Private E-2

Yeah, I've seen that, he's built some nice ones. I've also checked out a lot of these, too:
    http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_examples.php

The computer that I'm planning on building is a lot faster than required for the MAME program. I wanted to build it up a lot more than I needed because I've got a rather elaborate front end that I'm going to use:
    http://3darcade.mameworld.net/
    The system should be large enough to accomidate the frontend rather easily, but because I'm using rather "cheap" componets, I'm a little worried about compatibility issues and such, that I may be overlooking. As you can see this is the first time that I've posted, but I've been a member for a while, and I've seen that you guys here really know your stuff. I know that if there's anything that I'm overlooking, you guys will see it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds