Need Advice on Building First Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ecin, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Ecin

Ecin Private First Class

Hey folks!

Well, believe it or not, my Dell 1.7MGH, 1 GIG RAM Machine made it through 6 YEARS of use, NEVER turning it off.

Finally, the MOBO fried.

I have taken the computer apart.

I now have 4 sticks of dell RAM, 256MB each.

I have a 1.7MHZ processor.

A few Dell Fans.

A 6 Year old Power supply that originally came with the machine.

The hard drive of course, and the DVD Drives extracted.

I am dumping the rest. The Dell case and Mobo. I'm dumping the graphics card too because it's old.

Now I would like to build a new computer with these pieces I have.

Can any of you point me to a good motherboard to buy? One that will support the RAM that DELL uses? Or will I have to buy new RAM?

Also, Can I use my old 1.7MHZ processor?

Basically, I need a motherboard that will support all the dell stuff. The RAM, the Processor, and I guess that's it.

Any advice for a first time computer builder? Thanks!

2. dde2

dde2 Private E-2

If you still have your Dell case, see if you can find the sticker that has the "Service Tag" ID Then go to http://support.dell.com/ and on the right hand side under "Popular Support Tools" enter the Tag #, in the drop down menu under part 2 select "Original System Configuration". This will give you the original specs for you computer so you can ID your processor and RAM. Once you have that info, search your favorite computer parts site (Newegg, Outpost, or whoever) and find the board that will work with your stuff. Since your uP is a bit older, you may have to resort to secondary markets for a used board, a good place to look is Ebay, but be careful, make sure to read everything in the auction and that the seller has an excellent reputation. You may even be able to find the same board that burned up. Even if you can't find the same board, the RAM and uP should work with plenty of other motherboards. Good Luck!

3. dde2

dde2 Private E-2

edited for double posting

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds