Need advice on buying ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel God1, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Daniel God1

Daniel God1 Private E-2

I've bought and ordered an eMachines T6420 desktop computer from www.techforless.com i'll be getting it around tuesday. It can hold up to 4GB of ram so i was wondering where a good place to buy ram would be. Also, how would i go about installing it and would i need a new power cord or fan so it doesn't over heat?. One more question, would the computer hold up against games like City of heroes/villans and/or WoW?. Here are the specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2ghz
    RAM: 1024 MB
    Hard drive: 200GB
    Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 6100
    Primary Optical Drive: Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW

I can't find what power wattage the power supply has or what fan type it is, i tryed searching but found zilch.

*edited for spelling error*

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

City of Heoes system specs:
    Windows® 2000/XP,
    Intel Pentium® 4 1.7 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1700+,
    512 MB RAM,
    2 GB Available HDD Space,
    GeForce 5600 or ATI Radeon 9600 Series Video Card,
    16X CD-ROM Drive,
    16-bit Sound Card,
    Broadband Internet Connection,
    Keyboard and mouse with wheel

City of Villians specs:
    Internet connection and monthly fee required; Windows 2000/XP; Intel Pentium III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon 800 MHz; 512 MB RAM; CD-ROM Drive; 4 GB Available HDD Space; GeForce 2 Series or ATI Radeon 8500 Series Video Card; DirectX 9.0c; 16-bit Sound Card; 56k modem; Keyboard and mouse

WoW specs:
    * Windows 2000 or newer
    * Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon 800 MHz
    * 512 MB or more of RAM
    * 32 MB 3D video card with Hardware T&L or better
    * 6.0 GB free HD space
    * 4x CD-ROM drive
    * 56k or better Internet connection
    You are well beyond the minimum specs for all of these games. You should have no problems.

Your 1GB of RAM is plenty for Windows XP and any application you might want to run. Here is a webpage with instructions on installing more RAM if it is your wish to do so: http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/assemble7.htm You won't need to add extra cooling nor upgrade your power supply when adding more RAM. Also, I recommend an anti-static wrist strap if you will be poking around inside your computer to prevent static electricity damage. They are available at many electronics/computer retailers.

3. Daniel God1

Daniel God1 Private E-2

Thanks for the info, now i know i meet the requirements for the games, thats a relief. Do you think it would lagg though?. I know it meets the requirements and all, but would it play smoothly?.

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

yeah it would. I used to run CoH pretty much at the highest settings with a measly FX5200, 512mb of RAM, and a 3.0ghz p4. Your rig should do jut fine with it. BTW, the 6100 video card is onboard so you can always upgrade that if you want to be able to play top of the line new games

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

You're way beyond the requirements. Lag won't be a problem.

6. Daniel God1

Daniel God1 Private E-2

That sucks, i thought it wasn't, dang:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Well, on a cnet.com video i heard it has a pci (not sure the exact name) slot. The guy reviewing it said that you can put just about any top of the line graphics card in there, thats good :) . I guess i'll be saving up for a good graphics card :(.

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It has a 16x PCI-e slot, which will accept any top of the line card. The 6100 should do well for you for quite a while, though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds