Need advice on good free antivirus software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Blueone, May 25, 2011.

1. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I started to install my ISP free anti virus program from Comcast but it's too complicated. I've ran AVG, Mrosoft essentials, Superantivirusspyware, Comodo security and Avast. What do you folks recommend?

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Alot of people here like the combination of Avast for anti-virus, and Malwarebytes Anit-Malware for malware. You'll get opinions all over the map. but so long as you run both kinds of apps, you'll be covered.

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Also lots of people (myself included) use AviraAntiVir along with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware.
    You can have multiple anti-spyware programs at one time. But ONLY one anti-virus.
    Saw you had AVG and Avast. Hope one was uninstalled before the other went on. Could cause major conflicts.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

A suggestion. :)

Make sure you check out the Anti-Virus listings at http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads29.html

Lots of AV programs, free and $$$, are listed there.

A guide to what MG members think of the AV programs listed is the last number shown at the end of the Description line. For example:
    Avast! Free Edition - [2011-05-11 | Freeware | 54.2 MB | Win 2000/03/08/XP/Vista/7 | 642600 | 4.75 ]

The 4.75, out of a possible 5.0, is the MG members Rating and may help you narrow down your choice. This is a GUIDE only and maybe manipulated, up or down, by prejudice or preference.

If there are a lot of members who have voted, then manipulation is less likely.
    AV's remain a users choice, however, for ease of use, detection capability, company support, etc., so you have to find one that satisfies your requirements. FWIW, I use Avast Free. :-D

Bazza

5. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I ran AVG for a long time, then they tried to start charging for my copy of it. i switched to AVAST free version, and i love it. It keeps itself updated and says outloud that it has updated itself each time it does. Try it. You'll like it.

Tony :cool

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Another vote for Avast (free) and Malware bytes,i have used them for a long time and never a problem (touches wood)

7. silas

silas MajorGeek

I use avast and superantispyware and malwarebytes. all 3 can be downloaded from here for free.

8. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Purely from the compatibility point of view, AVAST! and MSE are least likely to cause any problems with either operating system or 3rd party software.

AVAST! has better control, more frequent updates and an excellent support forum.

9. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

Thanks everyone, looks like Avast and malwarebytes it is.

10. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

How do you folks feel about bit defender usb immunizer?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds