need advice on how to make startup faster

Discussion in 'Software' started by red death68, Oct 15, 2009.

1. red death68

red death68 Command Sergeant Major

i downloaded autoruns from majorgeeks and when i did a scan through this was my result (see attatchment) i wanna know what of these are uneccisary besides comodo,yahoo messenger,verification engine

o noticed a lot of stuff for codecs ,internet explorer (which i rarly use exept for music sites that wont run opera) and winrar

its a big list so i wouldnt mind even just little snipets

ps:if you want i cant post the list without windows processes

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Red

Not the easiest of logs to go through, easier would be a screenshot from the Startup list option in CCleaner or a screenshot of Msconfigs Startup list, however I did look at the registry listings for Run in your log and the following would be my options to remove or untick in Autoruns.

Ctfmon is one you will have to remove (its the alternative input for Office and unless you use speach, or handwriting tools to enter data then its useless) this tool is one of the easier routes to disable this or info from MSFT on this HERE

unlockerassistant.exe do you need this to startup? if you use it alot then leave it but if not untick and see if the tool still works when run manually.

yahoomessenger.exe untick as it can always be run manually when you need it.

But do past a screenshot of whats listed in CCleaner (Tools > Startup) list or MSConfig ? Startup.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Just to follow up: you can disable all of the items in the MSCONFIG startup list - none of them are needed for Windows to operate properly...

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Msconfig should not be really used to manage startups as its only a troubleshooting application as if your trying to narrowe down your startups to minimum then if using msconfig you are adding one back as msconfig adds its own startup, so using Autoruns or StartupCPL is a much better solution.

Another issue in using msconfig to manage startups is if you disable an item then uninstall the said application before enabling its startup befopre you uninstall is that you will have a orphaned startup in msconfig, which is while not a pain is not a simple thing to remove.

Plus some items are needed to be running as in Antivirus, Firewall and for some internet managment applications, by disabling all as in security applications you "may" leave your PC open to malware.

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

This is true...

I stand by my statement, however: all of the items in the MSCONFIG startups list can be disabled, if used as a troubleshooting procedure...

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds