Need advice on overclocking.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DragonBane, Dec 3, 2009.

1. DragonBane

DragonBane Private E-2

I have had my computer for a good 2-3 years now and have been trying to play some newer games on it. I upgraded the GFX card to a nVidia 9800 GT 512 MB card and added a 800W PSU and expanded to 2 GB of RAM. Now i want to overclock the system a bit. I've heard recently that mixing memory brands is bad, but I did it a few years ago when I had absolutely no knowledge of computers.

I've done a little research on my own, but don't want to hurt anything vital. It seems you might need some of the information about my computer.

Some specs:

Computer: Gateway GT 5220

Memory:

1024 MB stick of Kingston. I know they're DDR2 but idk what the number after that is.. I see a few numbers that might help in CPU-Z which are PC2-4300 (266MHz)
    2 sticks of 512 MB of Samsung (same numbers as kingston)

CPU & MOBO

CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ "windsor"

MOBO: (idk anything about it so i'll list everything i can find and hope someone can help)

Manufacturer: Elitegroup
    Model: c51pvgm-gb
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150 AM2 uBTX 1394 Motherboard
    ECS C51PVGM-GB Version 1.0 System Board
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150
    DDR2 DIMM sockets support 533/667/800 MHz modules

I'm attatching screen shots of information about my system. I hope they're of some use.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Here is your manual:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...tegoryID=1&DetailName=Manual&MenuID=1&LanID=0

As I suspected you have very limited OC options with this mobo (if any), pg. 32 is where you can change the CPU Frequency and Voltages. YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Make sure you get some baseline temps before you even start!!! Increasing Voltages will increase CPU temps exponentially (dramatically) so only small implements at best there.

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Likely your Gateway bios will be locked and no OC whatsoever from the bios.

4. DragonBane

DragonBane Private E-2

Bold Eagle, thanks for the information. You're right it's very limited. I had been going through my BIOS on my own, and couldn't find the right thing. I found the right one at one point, but it didn't have any options to increase it beyond what it already is so I just skimmed past it. I ended up just using ClockGen and upped it from 2.2 GHz to 2.45 GHz, which I'm quite happy with. I stress tested it for 10 hours and it came up with zero errors. I know it's risky doing it that way, but I won't have the money to upgrade my system for a few months so I just took the risk.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds