need advice on upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jim45682, Feb 16, 2011.

1. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

I am currently running P5N-E SLI mb and an E6750 core 2 duo with 3 gb ddr2 ram a 600w psu and gts 450 video, I am looking to upgrade on a budget, here is what I was looking at;
    MSI 870-G45 Motherboard - AMD 770
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition AM3 CPU
    Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1333C8 XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM

My questions, all items compatable? including compatable with my current psu and video card? and also will my 600w psu be enough to handle the higher power requirments of the amd cpu and extra ram and still feed the vid card?

my budget is ~250$ can go aver a bit but not by too much, and under is allways good if you want to recommend a different cheaper setup that will still be a good upgrade and future rdy.

Computer used to run several online games including WoW and STO and any newer ones that catch my interest.

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

No problems with compatibility, but you're not going to see too much of a performance increase wither.

3. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

why not much performance increase going from a 2.66GHz dual core to a 3.2GHz quad core? and going from 3gb ddr2 ram to 4gb ddr3?
    any recommendations on what I should be looking for to give a better performance increase?

4. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

I should have been clearer. If you are gaming, there will definitely be a significant performance increase. It's in the everyday applications like web surfing, email, and office apps where you won't see much difference. This is a matter of opinion, of course, but I think the system you have already runs these kinds of common apps pretty fast, and won't take advantage of extra cores or more memory. Have you thought about overclocking your current setup? With as decent overclock, you can get a pretty big performance boost for free.

5. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

Yea I have thought about overclocking but the cpu allready runs close to 50c peak during gaming and thats with a Cooler Master RR-910-HTX3-GP Hyper TX3, I do game alot and like to run my games at near max settings, the psu/mobo/cpu/ram I have is about 5 years old and has been running nearly nonstop since I got it <had an issue with a screwy monitor that if you turned it or the computer off it wouldnt come back on unless you tapped on the back in just the right spot which could take 2-30 min to find, but its replaced now>

I am running vista 64 and had toyed with the idea of just getting new ram, 8gig but ddr2 is so much more than ddr3 and if I ever wanted to upgrade later on the ddr2 ram would be wasted since everything new is ddr3.

I do multitask alot, several webpages open, music player going, voice communication program and a game anre usual for me while I alt-tab back and forth, and I am not very experienced with overclocking, the only messing I have done was some tunning on my gpu with evga precision and I dont think I got that right since the benchmarking I was using I was seeing artifacts and glitches after only a 40 or so increase in the core clock with little effect on perfomance

6. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

also I am looking for ease of install, cause up to this point all I have done inside a computer has been replace a psu, vid card, ram, cpu fan, and optical drive

7. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

That's plenty of experience to get you ready for your build. Installing a MB is not complicated.

8. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

since I use an nvidia card and may someday want to sli it would this be a better mobo to go with the upgrade?
    MSI NF750-G55 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    it costs more and pushes me to the top of my budget, question is, is it a better mobo and worth it?

9. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

If you want SLI, the MB is definitely worth it. All other aspects of the board are comparable to the first board you were looking at. Plus the price isn't much Higher. At Newegg, it is selling with free shipping, and a $20 rebate which brings the price to $80. - not bad.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130235

10. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

yep newegg is where I was looking at it ;) thanks for all your help and info

11. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

one last quick question before I sail off and buy this stuff, having never replaced mobo and cpu before I dont know, I wont have to wipe the hard drive and fresh install everything? should work fine just plug in the exsisting hdd to the new mobo?

12. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

You most definitely WILL have to wipe the hard drive and perform a clean installation of Windows. There are rare circumstances, like when the hardware is almost exactly the same, where you can simply drop the HDD into the new system, and windows will redetect devices successfully, but going from the Intel to AMD platform is not one of those cases. The hardware is so different, that you need to do a clean format and install.

Think of it as an opportunity rather than a hassle.

13. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

ok my pc originally came from cyberpower with vista home premium sp1 installed, I have a disk that says cyberpower and says it contains vista for use as backup or recovery, is that what I would use if I were to reformat and reinstall?

Also I have a couple of games and programs that are quite large on the hdd that I own in digital form only, anyway I can avoid having to redownload over 20 gigs of stuff?

14. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

I think I will get an external hdd and a win 7 upgrade disk, would that work? copy my important stuff over to the external drive then replace mobo and cpu and put the upgrade disk in the drive and power up and follow the instructions to clean install?

15. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

16. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

yea I was looking at that windows 7 builders, but i also have a laptop that has xp and is having some issues needs a fresh install but i dont have the recovery disk for it, so was thinking the $123 famly upgrade pack for win 7 just dont know if the upgrade will suffice for needing to wipe for new mobo/cpu

17. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

nevermind the last post, I called microsoft and according to them the upgrade version would work initialy but if anything ever happened I would have to first reinstall the previous windows version and have the registration keys then redo the upgrade, so I will get the full version, windows 7 is better than vista right?

18. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Right, Windows 7 is the one to get

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds