Need advice on win.7 upgrade/64bit

Discussion in 'Software' started by jeffcp, Feb 8, 2010.

1. jeffcp

jeffcp Private E-2

I purchased a HPHDX16 computer and was eligible for the upgrade. It arrived and I need advice on how to do a clean install. I want to start out with a fresh computer. It came with 2 discs(win7 and HP upgrade manager) Can I save my win. office and some other programs and then reinstall them? What can be saved on a dvd disc? And how do I install the win 7? Do I need HP upgrade manager disc first? If you would be so kind as to offer instructions I would be grateful. Thank you

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Hello,

An upgrade offer through a manufacturer is exactly that - you probably do not have the option to do a clean install.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I believe this is the case with most of the upgrade offers.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

There should be instructions from HP included, maybe on the CD/DVD. Look for a readme.txt.

I went through that when I upgraded an HP notebook from ME to XP. The readme, which I printed out, told me what I had to uninstall because it was not compatible and the upgrade manager disk included replacement software for the programs I had to remove.
    First have a look at the HP upgrade manager disk. It might answer your questions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds