Need Advice On Windows Media Player And Realone

Discussion in 'Software' started by cdolgner, Jan 7, 2006.

1. cdolgner

cdolgner Private E-2

I Have A Dell 4400, Have Been Using For Few Years. I Have Real One And Windows Media Player On It. I Have A Dvd Burner/player Combo With Cd Burner/player. All Works Fine. I Play Any Dvd With Them With No Problems. I Have A Used Compaq, Running Windows Media Xp Pro On It. I Just Installed It. I Did All The Downloads From Windows Any Other Updates Added All Normal Programs. Now I Tried To Play A Dvd, Several In Fact. It Will Play The Video Part But I Cant Hear No Sound. This Is The Second Computer In Weeks That This Has Happend To. I Searched The Forum And I Found Where I Could Download Some Player Called Vlc Media Player And It Works With All Dvds. Seems Its A Decoded Thing. Well Since I Have Never Had This Problem Before, Why Now. Why Dont This Real One And Windows Media Player Have It Like My One On Dell. I Never Did Anything Different. And Where Can I Get One To Plugin To These Two Players For Free. I Went To Micosoft And Was Totally Confusing. I Dont Mind Using Another Media Player. I Just Like Real One And Windows Media. There Are So Many To Choose From And Im Not That Fancy With Them. Just Want To Watch A Dvd At Times And Burn A Disk Of Music At Time. I Dont Play Games Or Any Of That Stuff. Any Help Would Sure Be Appreciated. I Just Hate Paying For Something That I Know Must Be Free Somewhere. Thanks Carol

2. techsalong

techsalong Guest

It "sounds" like you may need a codec plug in, depending on the DVD file format. Go here and scroll down. You might try one called XP Codec Pack. There's also one called just X codec pack. They're free.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=32&sort=4

3. AceRimmer

AceRimmer Private E-2

You could try to remove and then reinstall Real One if the Codec pack doesn't solve your problem but Windows Media could prove more difficult.
    If you want to try a different media player though try Divx. I used to use Windows Media for everything but after discovering Divx I use that for movies now.

You can download it here
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4297.html

The problem appearing out of thin air though could be down to Malware so make sure you give your system a good clean out with up to date AV and Spyware/Adware removal programs.

4. cdolgner

cdolgner Private E-2

I Download The Codec Pack, I Dont Know How To Use It. But I Did Download Another Media Player Recommend By This Forum And It Works. I Will Just Use It To Watch Dvds. I Still Dont Know Why On My Dell Windows And Real One Will Play Them And On The Compaq They Wont, They Are The Same Versions. But Thanks All That Helped.
    Carol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds