Need advise Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Godfather, Sep 15, 2004.

1. The Godfather

The Godfather Private E-2

I just put together a new rig. 3500+ 393 pin
    Abit av8 with uguru clock,1 gig pc 3700 ram.5-2-2-2-t1
    and maxtor 80 gig HD sata raid 0 .
    Ati 9800 XT
    Ok I'm running a little hot.At idle I run around 40c and when I play doom there it gets up to 71c.I think I'm going to get a water kit for the video card and cpu.I have no expereance with water so I'm asking for a little help.I'm looking at

http://www.3dcool.com/?module=product&sku=AQUARIUSIII

or this

http://www.koolance.com/products/product.html?code=EXT-A03&category_id=2

Not sure what to get for bocks either

Thanks for any help

2. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

If it where me, i would never put a watercooling setup in that system. On leak and everything could be fried. :( :( :( :(

Fist i would try, upgrading any stock cooling that you have. A really nice thermaltake HSF, and a powerful Vantec Tornado Fan would keep that processor cool.

Also there has been a lot of fuss over a cooler. VGA Silencer. Forgot the brand. It is susposed to drop temps well, and can be modded easly to drop the temps even further!

Also try and tidy up the case a little. Hide loose wires, get some round IDE cables, and remember, wire ties are your friend!

Also make sure you have 2 exhaust fans in the back of the case. That will draw out all the hot air. Also 2 fans in the front bringing in air would help alot too. Finily a good fan blowing on the video card from the side of the case would also help.

You will find these suggestions, cheeper then water cooling, and safer, from a components view. :)

If you must go water cooling. The kits are ok, but not the best. Even the top of the line kits..If you want a good system, make it from scratch.

:cool:

cooked

3. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

What overcooked says is good and if your an amatuer at cooling in general then water cooling is definitely out of your territory. Now i have a question. If that is your graphics card temperature then it is to be expected because they run very hot but they do have a high tolerance for heat. If that's your cpu temperature then you don't have any case fans. Once you put one in you'll notice a great drop in temperatures.

4. The Godfather

We'll this is not my first computer.I Have a biusness selling computers and have made a few game rigs.I just wanted to try water and if I burn a board or to I'm not to nervice about it.Now that that is out of the way.

I have a thermotake case.Have 2 fans in front ,2 fans in the back,1 Fan in the side and 2 fans on the end of my 600 watt power supply

The temps I posted are from my CPU.It's off my stock heatsink that came with that CPU.The fan doesn't turn very fast .Turns around 2100 RPM's.I know and used alot of aftermarket heatsinks and have had real good luck with them just wanted to try something new.

Thanks for your advise .

Oh my video card runs 63 at 435Mhz witch not to bad

5. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

What are you using to get your temps? Is it a program like Sandra, the bios, or do you have diodes by the cpu and gpu, sending a temp to a lcd?

Reason i ask is. Some programs dont work well. Especially if it doesnt like your motherboard. I have used 5 programs at once on my setup, and all gave differnt readings.

I switched to sensors, and a lcd display. That gave me the correct temp. Just about dead on with what the bios said.

:cool:

cooked

6. The Godfather

I use my bios and I have an lcd display in my case.Looks like the bios is off about 9c.I know a air cooled heat sink would bring my temps way down.I just want to see how high I can overclock this old girl.Once I overclok the temps run right up and then locks up around 76c.

Here are some stock benches

http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=751411062

Attached Files:

7. fxman

fxman Private First Class

I agree with overcooked, i just recently transfered my stuff over to a new case and spent alot of time...hours actually hiding wires etc. I also bought new heatsinks for my gigbyte server board. This cooled my system by 30 degrees. Got to " post your modded case " in this thread on the first page, I have jpegs there.

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

How do you know the BIOS is off and not your sensors?

I don't quite get why you're even attempting to overclock at those temperatures, but hey, whatever!

Good heatsink does wonders. So does good thermal place, and good application.

9. mudshot

mudshot Private First Class

My water cooling worked sweet with blocks on the CPU, GPU(9800 pro) and chipset never seen it over 50C

You will have to think about cooling the memory as most blocks only cool the core.

Got a 6800GT now and have a block for it but at £330 im nervous at damaging it, like the 1st one i had to return :rolleyes:

It is a very good heat and noise solution.

Dont worry about frying it as long as you have deionised water it isnt conductive and especially at such low voltages.

Go for an enhiem pump they are the best and quietest then choose your blocks and other parts, they are mostly the same.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds