Need an Auto File-Renaming Program

Discussion in 'Software' started by sobaixu, Mar 16, 2012.

1. sobaixu

sobaixu Private E-2

Hello,

I have need of a program which I can Drag and drop Folders into.

The Program must open the folders, and rename the sub-folders by creating new folders, copying the contents over, then deleting the old folders, and renaming the new folders back to the original names.

Example:

I drag a bunch of music folder into the program window and click the Rename button to start processing.

First folder: “Pink Floyd”
    Open Sub-folder “The Wall”
    Create new folder and name it "The Wall 1".
    Copy contents from "The Wall" to "The Wall1".
    Delete Folder "The Wall".
    Rename "The Wall1" back to "The Wall".
    Continue to process all other sub-folders the same way.
    Move up to Main Folder.
    Create new folder and name it "Pink Floyd 1".
    Copy contents from "Pink Floyd" to “Pink Floyd1".
    Delete folder “Pink Floyd”.
    Rename "Pink Floyd1" back to "Pink Floyd".
    Continue to process next folder.

This is a very tedious manual procedure which is necessary to fix a bug with the Windows Media Player 12 library which cannot be fixed by manually restoring and resetting the library.
    This is the only solution which seems to work in some cases, however for people with many folders in their music, pictures, and video folders, this is extremely tedious and impractical.
    A Program which could perform this task automatically would help a great deal of people.

Please let me know what you think.

Sincerely,

Erich Walther

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I think the app that may do what you wish in entirity is not going to be forthcoming or I off hand dont know of any but I would try out Panda Batch Renamer as its free and worth a try as I have found it a good app in the past.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds