Need Antivirus Suggestion For Xp And Vista.

Discussion in 'Software' started by edweather, Aug 12, 2017.

1. edweather

edweather Private First Class

I'm working with two older computers. One has Vista and the other XP. What would you suggest for an AV software? Thanks, Ed

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'd suggest Microsoft Security Essentials for both but, I wouldn't go online with either computer since both operating systems are no longer supported by Microsoft.

3. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

4. edweather

Yes, I wish MSE were available for either one.

I'm using Avast on my XP, and it says it's protected, but I can't run any scans.

On my Vista, I'm using AVG successfully, but wanted to possibly try something else.

Thanks, Ed

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If AVG is working fine on the Vista then you can keep it.
    Avast still supports XP but if it isn't updating properly or at all then you should consider a full clean uninstall of Avast, then after that's removed and the system restarted, reinstall it from a fresh new download.
    To remove Avast fully you need to use a good uninstaller such as Revo Free in its Advanced scanning mode, then after a restart run the Avast Clear removal tool.

6. edweather

The XP is a problem, I what you suggested and then did a clean install of Avast but it didn't work. Something probably wrong with the computer. Avast says I'm protected, but I can't scan. I can still update it though, just can't scan. Thanks, Ed

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If you can't scan with Avast, then it's useless having it.
    If you carried out all the steps including Revo and Avast Clear, I suggest you uninstall it fully again using the same steps, then after restarting your system run CCleaner > Cleaner and then CCleaner > Registry > scan for ALL issues, then Fix ALL issues and run it again as many times as needed until it finds ZERO issues.
    Restart your system and install AVG free which still works with XP

8. edweather

OK will give it a shot. I already dumped AVG on the computer because I was having tha same issue. I'll try it again, and see what happens. My XP computer is ancient, and probably messed up somewhere, but I'll keep trying. Thanks, Ed

9. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I run Avast, or AVG on my older computers. I keep several around so that if one tears up... So what!

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The very high ranking Comodo Internet Security FREE versions works fine on my 16 year old XP system.
    As long as you uncheck the options to change browser/search and Geek Buddy (if you don't want it) etc, it's a far far better software than AVG or Avast.

11. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I normally go with MSE or Windows Defender with SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.And never have a problem.

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Microsoft don't support MSE or WD for XP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds