Need chipset

Discussion in 'Software' started by brandypeppy, Sep 15, 2010.

1. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What is the motherboard in the Presario?
    Once you know that, you put that into the box at the Intel site and you will get downloads for the motherboard.

I found this Intel Pentium 4 Willamette
    P4/Wil/1500/400/S478
    P4/Wil/1600/400/S478
    P4/Wil/1700/400/S478
    P4/Wil/1800/400/S478
    P4/Wil/1900/400/S478
    P4/Wil/2000/400/S478

Do this to find the processor http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=240260

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  3. plodr

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Tried that program you posted plodr, as well as Belarc.

Neither gave anymore info than I've already posted.

Is there another way to ID the mobo??

5. plodr

Let me figure out what I used. I'll have to dig through some old notes. Be back (probably covered in dust) in a bit.

6. plodr

Thank goodness it is one of my husband's two computers so I put the paperwork in his desk. It was a lot easier to find than in my computer desk and filing cabinet.
    Apparently I used a version of this program http://download.cnet.com/BIOS-Agent/3000-2098_4-10554392.html
    I printed out the screen which gave me
    BIOS Type:
    BIOS Date:
    BIOS ID: (date in front followed by i then the chip set and followed by a long alphanumeric string
    OEM Sign-on: This said Intel followed by the same chipset as above in the BIOS ID
    Super I/O:
    Chipset:
    and more info

I put the Intel 845GV into the box on Intel's site and was able to get all the chipset drivers. Before I grabbed thos, I had no proper video (800 x 600 is NOT acceptable) and no sound.

If that doesn't give you the info, yell and I'll do some searching.

7. plodr

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  8. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

That needs an internet connection, don't have that on this one. And the only connection I have here is wireless, doesn't work on that machine?

How hard can it be to get the proper chipset? :confused

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Have you tried Everest?

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi BP

That Compaq came with an Intel 845 Brookdale chipset and the intel default driver should be HERE as Compaq dont list much for that old PC now on their drivers page HERE (use dropdown if the OS is not XP for other options).

What Windows version?

11. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Halo and others,

Okay, I installed the chipset, but no difference. Cannot adjust display properties.

Also, device mgr shows flags by Ethernet controller, PCI communications controller, and video controller.

Not possible to make connection to internet, but am able to download and transfer via flash drive.

More help please?

12. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Just got back to this. It is XP.

13. DavidGP

Hi BP

As it seems the Chipset likely installed ok as you most likely dont have SMBus or anotehr chipset flag in Dev Mgr we just need the remaining three drivers.

If this PC is a default build and no new additions have been installed then this is the Video driver HERE

Could give this ITU V90 Internal Modem driver a go HERE

LAN is a little more problematic, could you attach an Everest Log in a Text File :)

14. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

This is a standard off the shelf build.

I ran the Everest Report, however it is 900 KB text file, only 375 KB is allowed here.

The report can be customized, could you tell me what parts you need please??

15. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Is this the information needed?

Attached Files:

16. DavidGP

Hi BP

The Intel standard drivers are HERE for the GPU

Intel Pro 100 Ethernet driver HERE (gained it form the DeviceID string from your log)

This should be the Simple PCI Comms driver HERE (its the DUN Modem and again gained the model from the DeviceID string)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  17. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Thanks Halo!

Hope these work.

But the first link in your message gives an invalid site?

18. DavidGP

Hi BP

Fixed link, mis-pasted the link with the text (keyboard and mosue are loosing power and need charging soon), should work now.

I hope they work too as they link to the DeviceID strings that are normally accurate that come off Device Manager in Windows into the Everest log.

19. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Thanks AGAIN! All is working perfectly now!

20. DavidGP

Hi BP

Cheers for the update and PM, greatly apprieciated and its good work you do in getting those PCs up and running for the senior citizens locally.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds