Need Compaq Presario 500 series purge command

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bead2, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Bead2

Bead2 Private E-2

Hi,

I'm giving away my old Compaq Presario CDTV520 and need to purge all first. I know how to restore it back to original but don't know the command to purge it first.

Thanks for your help~
    Sharon

2. Astroman

Astroman Private E-2

Hello
    If you want to Format your Hard Dive you first want to create a startup Disk with a 3.5 Floppy A. Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Star up Disk > Create Disk. If you want to back up any files you can save them to Disk. Anyway, once the Disk is done, Restart you Computer, and a DOS prompt should show up saying "A drive:\" type in without Quotes "format A:" then it will ask you if you are sure if so then type in Y or if no N. It will ask you to label the Drive I Labeled my "Local Disk" when I recently formatted my computer. It will restart then make sure to take the Floppy A out then put in your System Restoration Disks if you have them. and it will load them. After Installation and if you have access to the Internet with it or another computer you should download HDCleaner in order to "Wipe" the free Space on the Drive. Here’s the link
    http://majorgeeks.com/download1287.html
    You should Wipe the Drive at least 3 times so whoever you are giving your Laptop to can't download a program to view possibly personal info that has been imbedded in the Hard Drive regardless as if it has been formatted or not. Once Downloaded and Installed open it up and over on the right side should say. "Clean Folders" click it and under it should say Wipe Free Space. Over on the right choose The Drive by clicking on it then click on Clean all free space on your Hard Drive. It will take awhile depending on the size of the Drive; my 37 Gig took 2 1/2 hours for one pass. I hope this makes sense and I hope this is what you are wanting if so I am glad to be of assistance, and Good Luck. Oh and if anyone thinks I am missing anything please post.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds