Need Compare Utility For LARGE Text Files-Any Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Software' started by TR15220, Mar 29, 2004.

1. TR15220

TR15220 Private First Class

I need to able to compare some data files that are about 900 bytes long and have about 10,000 to 50,000 records in each of them.

Is there anything out there that I can download that will do this operation in a 'reasonable' amount of time?

I am trying this process with 'FCOMPARE' and it has been running for about 28 minutes with no information on the process.
    There is no progress bar, hourglass, percent complete or any info on how far the process is in completing.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

are the files in any standard delimination?

3. TR15220

Hey Kodo - They are fixed length ASCII data files...

They are fixed length ASCII data files where each of the data fields takes up a fixed number of characters in the data record and each data record has the same layout.

They are similiar to a flat file extract from an Oracle DBMS.

What do you think?

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I would import them into some database and use SQL to compare the records.

5. TR15220

My first thought too - but.....the 'analyst' is not SQL literate

So, since he doesn't know SQL, I was looking for something like File-Aid PC (it's been several years since I used it and Compuware doesn't even mention it on their website) that was built specifically to do this kind of work.

Everything I'm finding now is geared towards doing Source Code comparisions (mainly in C) and can't handle the large number of records that are involved.

I left FCOMPARE running for over 15 hours and it is still churning on 10,000 records this morning.

Thanks anyway.....

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

7. TR15220

Yep - I saw most of them too...but - they all appear to

They all appear to be designed for Source Code file comparisions as opposed to doing large ASCII data files.

I'll keep lookin'..........

8. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds