Need comparison advice - Video Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalxor, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Phalxor

Phalxor Private E-2

So I am looking at two similar cards 4850 and the 4870

Now I understand everything up to the point where the 4870, the "better" card with a higher core clock, has basically half the effective memory clock. On one of the technical descriptions it gives a bandwidth amount per second but not on the other one. I'm probably going to go with the ASUS 4870 because of either A. mislabeled specs or B. you don't need all that crazy "effective" memory clock speed and C. the product reviews sound good enough

hoping this great community could weigh in and lend their opinions

2. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

From what I read the 4850 has a core clock of 625Mhz, memory clock of 2Ghz, 256-bit memory bus with an effective memory transfer rate of 64Gb/sec.
    The 4870 has a core clock of 750Mhz, memory clock of 3.6Ghz, 256-bit memory bus giving it a memory transfer rate of 115.2Gb/sec, basically it moves your video data almost twice as fast as a 4850.

This page compares every ATI chip:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/131

Sam

3. Phalxor

Phalxor Private E-2

Thanks a ton Sam. Consider the matter closed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds