Need Dual Boot advice

Discussion in 'Software' started by bob3690, Sep 13, 2007.

1. bob3690

bob3690 Private E-2

I am trying to set up a dual boot system.

I have two partitions on one hard drive. I have XP on one partition which is a legacy from when there were no partitions.

On the other partition, instead of installing an os from scratch I have restored an image previously created on the same computer hard drive that uses the w2k operating system.

The W2k os isn’t recognised. When I run Acronis’s OS Detector Wizard I get the result: “No new operating system found in specified partition. Try to change boot partition or boot sector file name.”

I’m a partition and dual boot novice and don’t know what this means. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. DeweyBad

DeweyBad Private First Class

Run this option on the windows 2k partition:

[​IMG]

Choose F8 to continue.

[​IMG]

Next, Windows Setup will find existing Windows XP/2000 installations. You will be asked to repair an existing XP installation or install a fresh copy of Windows 2k.

If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.

[​IMG]

That should be it. Windows 2k will appear to be installing itself for the first time, but it will retain all of your data and settings. Just follow the prompts, have your CD-KEY handy and hope for the best!

:major :major :cool

3. bob3690

bob3690 Private E-2

Many thanks for your reply.

Am I meant to do this off an XP disc or a w2k disc? If it's the xp disc then no can do unfortunately, as I only have an oem restore disc instead of a a proper install disc.

The w2k disc refuses to function within xp because the os is older than the existing os(xp), and I am wary of booting w2k disc in case it messes up the xp settings, but I am not sure about this.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Also I think you need w2k on c: and XP on D: for dual booting to work properly.

I could be wrong on this, and if so, someone will soon point it out to me. :D Bazza

5. DeweyBad

DeweyBad Private First Class

Use the 2k cd for this operation.

6. bob3690

bob3690 Private E-2

Thanks..Am I ok to reboot with the 2k disc to get to this function?

7. bob3690

bob3690 Private E-2

Unfortunately, booting the w2k disc just screwed up my xp installation on C: and it wouldbn't boot afterwards. Bazza, I think you must be right that (generally) w2k should be on C: and XP on D:. However, installing w2k again, this time using PartitionMagic, worked a treat, even with w2k after C:.
    Thanks again to both for your help.

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Glad you got it going again. :major :cool Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds