need great free defrag program

Discussion in 'Software' started by red death68, Dec 5, 2008.

1. red death68

red death68 Command Sergeant Major

im looking for the best free defrag program around i have variouse files that are refusing to defrag including many registry keys

the problems so bad the record number of fragments i found was 1075 fragments for 1 file so u can c my dilema any suggestions

links primarly plz tyvm in advance ppl:confused

2. oma

oma MajorGeek

Here are some good free ones. http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20 Scroll down to the middle of the page.

As to your question which is the best you may find that that the opinions may vary.

Personally, I like Auslogics.

3. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Me too. I also like IOBit (as Lev suggested above), but I don't like how it runs in the backgroud, so I don't install it; I run it from a folder. To do this: install it, then make a copy of the Program Files\IOBit folder and put it on your desktop or somewhere, then uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs. You can then run the .exe file from the folder on your desktop when you want to defrag. When it's done, right click the icon in the system tray and select Exit. JKDefrag is a very complete and very thorough defrag, and it may take some time the first few times you run it. I also have used Vopt but it isn't free. However, it is an excellent defrag program; perhaps the best I've used.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

There is another one called Ultimate Defrag that seems to work pretty good. I use it every week and it is free.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I always use it on my C drive and have never seen any "buggy" problems with crashing or any other problems.

7. oma

oma MajorGeek

For registry defragggers, look here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads15.html
    Again, I've used Auslogics Registry defrag for that.

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I always try to stay away from the registry cleaners. Seems to cause more trouble than they solve.

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Auslogics for me, too.
    Latest version, (a couple of days ago), Auslogics Disk Defrag 1.5.20.336 at http://majorgeeks.com/Auslogics_Disk_Defrag_d5266.html
    Bazza

===

10. oma

oma MajorGeek

Yep, for the reason That IOBit is running in the background, I didn't try IOBit defrag. Thanks for pointing out how to use it without it running in the background. I may give it a try at some time.

PS: I was told by an IT tech ages ago to defrag only once every 2-3 months and not more than that because it wears out the HD sooner.

11. red death68

red death68 Command Sergeant Major

thannks for all the help guys and heres sumting strange with that jkdefrage one it sucked 8 gigs from my drive by making temp files

12. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I defrag 3-5 times a week. Never had a hard drive wear out yet.
    If you keep it defragged on a regular basis, there is not much head mechanism movement each time and it is much quicker defragging. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds