Need guidance with graphic card compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Just a wannabe geek, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Just a wannabe geek

Just a wannabe geek Private E-2

Hi,

I just bought an old used game, Sims 2, and only after installing it I realized I didn't have the graphic capacity required.

I spent last night trying to find what's the cheapest video card I can buy to upgrade enough to play the game, but it's like a foreign language to me.

Here's how far I got:

My motherboard is MSI MS-6743, here's the description:

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboards_d/MSI/865GM2-LS+%28MS-6743%29/

But then, my computer was assembled from scratch, so I got this from SiSoftware Sandra Lite:

Computer
    Model : MSI MS-6743
    Chassis : Desktop
    Mainboard : MSI MS-6743
    BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 06/24/2003
    Total Memory : 1.5GB DIMM DDR

Processors
    Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2T 2.8GHz, 2x 512kB L2)
    Socket/Slot : FC µPGA478

Chipset
    Memory Controller : Intel 82865G/PE/P, 82848P DRAM Controller / Host-Hub

Interface 4x 200MHz (800MHz), 1.5GB DIMM DDR 400MHz 64-bit

Memory Module(s)
    Memory Module : Xerox 512MB DDR PC1-3200U DDR1-400 (3-4-4-8 2-0-0-0)
    Memory Module : 64MX64U-40C 512MB DDR PC1-3200U DDR1-400 (3-3-3-82-12-0-0)
    Memory Module : Mosel Vitelic (ProMos) V826632K24SATG-D3 256MB DDR PC1-3200U DDR1-400 (3-3-3-8 2-12-0-0)
    Memory Module : Mosel Vitelic (ProMos) V826632K24SATG-D3 256MB DDR PC1-3200U DDR1-400 (3-3-3-8 2-12-0-0)

Video System
    Monitor/Panel : (Standard monitor types) Default Monitor
    Monitor/Panel : (Standard monitor types) Default Monitor
    Video Adapter : Rage 128 Pro (AGP 2.00)

Graphics Processor

Peripherals
    LPC Hub Controller 1 : Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge
    LPC Legacy Controller 1 : Winbond W83627THF/THG
    Audio Device : Creative Labs SB0243 Audigy 2 (OEM'd For Dell??)
    Serial Port(s) : 1
    Disk Controller : MSI 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) EIDE Controller
    Disk Controller : Intel 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller
    USB Controller 1 : MSI 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1
    USB Controller 2 : MSI 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2
    USB Controller 3 : MSI 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3
    USB Controller 4 : MSI 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4
    USB Controller 5 : MSI 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB 2.0 EHCI Controller
    FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : Creative Labs Audigy 2 Firewire Controller
    SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Operating System
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP Home 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 3)
    Platform Compliance : x86

The game I want to play requires:

Processor: 1.3 Ghz*
    Memory: 512Mb RAM
    Hard disk: 1.5 Gb
    DVD-ROM: 8x
    Graphic card: 32 Mb T&L*
    Sound card: DirectX 9.0 compatible

*512 Mb of RAM IF the graphic card is Transform & Lightning compatible, such as Nvidia GeForce2 or higher, Nvidia Quadro series, ATI Radeon 7200 or higher. Should the graphic card NOT be compatible with T&L, such as ATI Radeon 7200 (VE series) or Intel Extreme Graphics 82845, 82865, 82915, then the processor has to be 2.0 Ghz.

So after all this (sorry for the lenght), my questions are:

1- Do I even have a sound card? If so, is it DirectX 9.0 compatible? I can't see one, or don't understand, which amounts to the same.

2- Is any of the graphic cards required by the game compatible with my
    motherboard? If so, which one?

I have to mention that I need to do this myself, as I don't have the funds to pay for technical service, but you could see that by the state of my computer.

I looked up parts on the internet, and I would very much like to buy something cheap, like this, if it fits in:

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/sys/4132978183.html

or this even (or anything else in that store, as it is close to me):

http://www.milleniummicro.ca/fr/ordigeni/product/N610GT-MD1GD3/LP

As far as sound goes, as long as whatever I have is DirectX 9.0 compatible, I'd be fine.

If there's any more info you need from me in order to come up with an answer, please tell me what to provide.

Thanks a lot for your support. What you guys do here is truly helpful.

2. Just a wannabe geek

I'd like to add, before you ask, that my power supply is:

Brand: Herolchi Electronics
    Model: HEC-300AR-T
    Wattage: 300W

I saw you asked to know this in other threads. :)

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Your motherboard supports AGP8X graphics. The first card you listed is PCI. It will work, but for best performance you want to go AGP. The second card you listed is PCI Express (PCIe). Your motherboard does not support PCIe.

You do not have a sound card (or motherboard has integrated sound) but you can add a PCI sound card. If you run "dxdiag" from your start menu, it will show you the DirectX version you are running.

300W is not a lot. When you research your card, it should tell you the minimum you need, or you can use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements.

That said, I am not sure upgrading this system is a wise investment. Support for XP ends April 8, 2014. This means Microsoft will no longer provide updates or patches to any new security vulnerabilities. And because security software relies on a fully current OS to provide protection, your security software may not keep you safe.

My advice is to save your money and instead of upgrading this old machine, buy a new one before next april.

4. Just a wannabe geek

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I ran the dxdiag and it gave me this message:

"Your card does not support hardware buffering. Sounds will only play back from software buffers."

Is that a good or a bad thing for my Sims2 game playing?

And regarding video cards, would this one work then?

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/sys/4146997025.html

I found on a website that this card will need 350W to run well. So I would probably have to put a more powerful power supply in. But I can buy a 350 or 400W for fairly cheap so that's ok.

And I get what you're saying about my PC's old age, but I really like my XP, so come April 2014, that PC is coming off the web and is going to be used for other stuff. I'll get a laptop for browsing. But I'm not getting rid of XP, that's for sure. :cry

5. Digerati

You need to research the Sim2 system requirements but I suspect your sound will work.

I would definitely go with the 400W supply. More headroom means the supply will not be running near capacity full time so it "should" not have heat issues, and therefore remain stable - that's the theory, anyway.

I frankly would not trust a card from craigs list. I note the image shows the card is full of dust so I would wonder how much care the user put in keeping his system clean - critical for heat managment. Plus, I would worry about the fan bearings.

For $20, it is not a big gamble, but...

6. Just a wannabe geek

It's just that I seem to not have a choice going down the used-goods route, in the stores all they have is PCI express. Is AGP obsolete now?

Anyway, in Montreal Craigslist is not that bad actually. Besides, I'll know where the guy lives... :cool

Another last question for you, since you're very indulgent with me, is there a maximum PSU wattage a motherboard like mine can support?

I mean, are my issues just the fact that it has to fit in the case, or are there other characteristics I have to look for?

After that, I'll be going on my merry way, and I'll update once I can play my super game I can't wait to try. :wave

7. Digerati

A million watts!

Actually, motherboards (electronics in general) don't work that way. They only pull from a supply what they need. So if your motherboard, RAM, graphics card, drives, and any other cards attached to your motherboard require 300W, they will pull from your PSU just 300W regardless if the PSU is a 400W supply or a 1000W supply.

And the PSU (regardless the size) will pull from the wall just 300W plus another 45 - 135W due to 15-30% inefficiencies - wasted in the form of heat. And this is where getting a quality PSU that is 80 PLUS certified is important. To be 80 Plus certified, they must be 85% or better efficient across a wide ("flat") range of expected loads. Cheap supplies may only be 70% efficient at 60% utilization and then less efficient at different loads (like a "bell curve").

Yes, it was replaced by PCIe. You can still find PCI (which was before AGP) because most motherboards still support at least one PCI slot, but they will be fairly low-end cards.

BTW, Newegg Canada still carries 10 AGP cards.

8. Just a wannabe geek

I love this forum, it's like having a super smart best friend. :-D

9. Digerati

Well, I don't know about super smart - but there is a lot of experience folks enjoy sharing here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds