Need hardware advice/suggestion ...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by motdaugrnds, Feb 8, 2013.

1. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds Private E-2

We purchased this PC new in 2002 and added protective programs, i.e. Avast, "Scotty" (I forgot where I got this.), SpywareBlaster. It was Windows XP and we kept it updated.) We, also had Internet Explorer and Outlook Express and Microsoft Word working well for us. Then it got dropped. It still worked so we thought nothing much about this.

Still the PC got to where it would not boot up. We took it into the same repairman we've had all this time (for replacing "dial-up" modems) and he said the hard drive was bad. (David had re-installed the original 2002 disc of Windows XP in an attempt to get the PC to working prior to carrying it into the repairman and had lost all our files.) The repairman put a "used" hard drive in and we brought it home. Now nothing is working right. David attempted to update windows XP and cannot even get that updated.

My question is this: Is it better just to purchase a new computer or should we actually let the repairman install a "new" hard drive? Not knowing much of anything about computers, would this permit us to then add all those thousands of updates the Windows XP would need & get Outlook Express to working again?

If you all think it is more cost effective to get a new computer instead of just the new hard drive, which computer would you suggest? Any information would be appreciated. (I thought I had posted this on this wonderful forum but cannot find it. Please forgive me if this is a duplicate and point me to where my other post was. I know I posted about "games"; but this post is not about games. It is about the computer itself.)

Thanks

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Hi there,

It is highly unlikely that the drive is preventing windows update. It is more likely to be software related. Assuming your repair man did a fresh install it should work without issue

I am not sure that I can suggest what the problem is (other than software) but I doubt it is hard ware... I assume the repair man did a fresh install?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds