need help accessing password-protected files...

Discussion in 'Software' started by El Dangeroso, Jan 12, 2005.

1. El Dangeroso

El Dangeroso Private E-2

ok, so my friends computer decided to freeze one night. her father thought it would be a good idea to pull out the plug. when she tried to turn it back on, it didnt work right. so for now, she took the hard drive out of that computer and temporarily put it in an old computer (i believe as an auxiliary hd not as a master) but originally her windows account was password protected. anytime she tries to get to a file on the old hard drive, she gets that "access denied" screen. so i need to find a way to access password protected files on windows xp. i need a password bypass of sorts. can someone tell me how to go about doing this or link me to a program that will help me with this task? thanks.

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

I recon the new computer is running Win2k/WinXP or similar. Unless she encrypted the folders on the harddisk, then it should be a matter of logging in with an administrator-account and take ownership of the folders on the harddisk.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/Q810881

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds