Need Help Asap: Having Blue Screen Of Death With Mskssr.sys

Discussion in 'Software' started by Solar, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Solar

Solar Private First Class

Hi folks!

Glad to have re-gained my password again for this amazing forum.

3 days ago, I noticed having some Blue Screen of death. I was doing an update drivers of my soundcard from the company Antelope Audio that by the way I had installed their driver since 2014 and everything was working like a charm until 3 days ago. But I'm naming this situation because this is were my Blue screen of death starts. Maybe the new soundcard drivers had nothing to do with these Bluescreen.

Now, that day I was updating the new Audio Drivers and it's Control Panel software, I had a bluescreen of death and then when I reboot my computer, there was a second account log in that was created with the name VPN. Which I found very weird

So I went on and logged in my usual account and deleted that account. Because I know I never created that account. This is teh BSOD I had when that account was created:

BSOD 1.jpg

Then today I logged in my usual account and was plyaing with my computer and as I do audio work and use audio music softwares (DAWs), in particular Reaper, when I come to launch Reaper, I had another BSOD with now the MSKSSR.SYS and looks like this

BSOD 2.jpg

Was wondering if anyone here can help me figure out whats going on here. Because I don't feel like re-installing again my computer in my new SSD that I just installed earlier this year, just before summer 2016.

One other thing I noticed, is that I had these plugins made by this company Acustica (Acustica-Audio.com) AUDIO, they were all AUTHORIZED and were all working fine without any issue. Then yesterday after I had that BSOD, when I open Reaper or Studio One DAW and load up one of the plugins, its asking me to Authorize them again. But these plugins are already authorized.

And then when I opened I get this msg:

Error msg when opening AA plugs.jpeg

Any help would be very very much appreciated.

Big thanks in advance for your precious time.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

dr.moriarty likes this.
  3. Solar

Yes it is but I didn't know that both Geek forum & Seven forum were the sister sites. Just trying to get any support and help as fast as I can

My bad

satrow likes this.
  4. satrow

We're not sister sites but many of your potential helpers will be members of a number of sites, shotgunning copy/paste posts across several sites in a short period is likely to lead to those helpers that bump into the same posts on different fora on the same day to be disinclined to offer any help to you, especially if you don't link back to those other topics so we can check what you've already been asked to do - to reduce duplication and time wasting.

I'm not (yet) convinced that your issues are all down to the same cause, 0xF4's are usually boot failures, frequently down to a HDD/SSD or hardware connection problem, ox50's are also hardware related usually but mostly memory errors (or a faulty system service, Antivirus, Device driver, NTFS corruption, BIOS, ... ) and then you have issues with your audio software/drivers and their registration/licensing.

Overall, it might be a HDD/SSD problem, check the physical connections, replace cables with known good ones, run disk checks from the makers' site and run chkdsk /r /f on all drives and sfc /scannow to check System files. Report back with logs and results.

Study this topic download and run the software, attach the needed zip files in a reply, we can then get some history, details and further clues as to what's been happening on your PC, as well as any minidumps that can be debugged.

dr.moriarty likes this.
  5. Solar

Thanks @satroy, I'm gonna get into this tonight and will follow every steps you mentioned. Appreciate and also understood your point on sharing same case in different forums

6. satrow

No worries, good luck with it and don't stay up too late ^^

7. Solar

@satroy

Here's my BSOD report from the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp:

First my system:
    - Computer system: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.40GHz / 16 gig of ram

I tried to run PERFMON System Health Report and this is what I get look at the screenshot below

Perfmon Report Error.jpeg

Thanks a bunch for helping me. I really want to get this fixed and not havve to re-install again.

Attached Files:

8. satrow

Solar, could you please re-run the collection app, leave it ~10 minutes longer this time before zipping it up, the some logs can be very slow, especially if if there are a lot of error logs to be processed. Thanks.

9. Solar

@satrow Alright I'm gonna run it again but for your information, I did run it fully, I mean I didn't interrupt it, the app run till the end when there's a word file that opens giving indications on how to post the .zip file to a forum etc... etc...

I'm gonna re-run again

10. Solar

Here we go. I did run the app once more and this is a new zip report file

BSOD instruction.jpeg

I did let the App to finish all its task and all where complete.

Hope this time it works. Thanks

Attached Files:

11. satrow

Same problem this time, it's not the main app, it's one of the programs that it triggers, that can take a long time to populate fully even though you can open it and it looks fine, by the time you drill down to the last section, which might be blank, as these are.

So, wait ~10 minutes or longer after the main collection app says it's finished before zipping and attaching.

12. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Have you reseated your hardware? Most especially the RAM modules?

Is this machine clean, and free of dust, lint, et cetera?

13. Solar

Hi @mekanic,

You want to know if I RESETED my hardware or any hardware? Answer is NO
    Didn't change any RAM
    And yes machine is CLEAN, no dust

Hope this helps

14. Solar

Hi @satrow

Are you referring about the PERFMON System Health Report that you want me to let it run for a little more than 10 minutes even after the message I got as error that I posted here?

OR do you want me to go and run the rest of the test:
    Driver Verifier - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista
    Run HDD Diagnostics
    Test RAM

???

By the way if you're referring to the same TEST : Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App , well here how I do it. I just run the APP in Admin and I let it do it's thing. Until it finishes and created the .zip file & shows the final Doc instruction from the Developer himself.

Let me know now what you want me to do next.

By the way, a side quick question:

Lets say you a custom windows that is installed on your computer, what I mean by custom, lets say some services where taken out and not installed at all like "Event Log service" etc.. Is there a Tool that can scan a computer and check what are the missing Windows Services that aren't installed and be able to Install those missing SERVICES back??? Curious

15. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

In a run box.......sfc /scannow

Trex™ likes this.
  16. satrow

Not Perfmon, I rarely check that anyway, it's MSiNFO32. Run it manually: Start > Run > MSiNFO32 > Enter. It pops up fast but drill down through each subsection one at a time and check that (almost all) of them populate, it's the last one that can get very slow if there are a lot of errors to collect and the slower/busier the PC is, the longer it takes.

Once it's finished, Save as the default MSiNFO32.NFO to your Desktop, zip and attach it.

SFC /scannow is fine to run but it doesn't check if the Services are active or at their default Startup settings, this tool can check that - use the Defaults tab, bottom left, and it can be used restore the Services to the Default state if needed.

17. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

No, I want to know if you have "re-seated" your RAM modules. If they are not properly in their slots, that will cause issues. Any dust or lint in the slots will interfere with performance, up to and including causing a BSOD. Thermal expansion/cooling over time can cause modules to work their way out of position.

Removing them, making sure all is tidy, and firmly reseating them is a good first step. Eliminating hardware as the issue saves a lot of headache.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  18. Solar

Hi @satrow

Please find attached here my MSiNFO32.NFO file. Let me know if I did this correct this time.

Last but not least, now the software you suggested me to download Easy Service Optimizer 1.2 that allow to check if All Win services are installed correctly or if there's missing ones.. my most important question, can this application if it identify that I'm missing some Services that were not installed or that were took off because my Windows 7 x64 is a custom one, can it identiry & download & re-install the missing SERVICES ???

Thanks a bunch.

Attached Files:

19. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have you looked at Device Manager?
    The drivers for the SM Bus Controller, USB Controller (x2) & PCI Simple Communications Controller are not installed!
    And 5 audio devices are disabled.

20. Solar

Yes I saw those 5 audio devices. I disabled them for a reason. From what I understood, using a Desktop for Professional Audio work, using high end Soundcard, it is recommended by Pro Computer tweaker to disabled built-in soundcard like Soundblaster or NVidia stuff like that. Unless they're wrong because it can sometimes eat up juce for nothing and get into conflict with these soundcards.

As for the other SM bus controller, USB controller & PCI don't even what these are. Because my PCI soundcard including my USB soundcard are installed

Do you have any idea what these controllers are??? Can Windows install the drivers of these automatically???

21. Eldon

If you have the motherboard DVD, install those drivers from there. If not, let Windows install them.

BTW That file in post #1 is mskssrv.sys and is used by the Microsoft Streaming Service Proxy.

22. satrow

Shoot, still no WER logged errors in MSiNFO32... there's normally be 3 - 10 pages of errors, crash traces, etc. there to give clues :(

There are times when the SM Bus controller/driver simply isn't needed, Windows has worked perfectly for me in the past over an 8 month period when I had it disabled after uninstalling the driver for it, which had been causing BSOD crashes. Sometimes it's just a 'placeholder' for OEM utility software.

23. Solar

Hi @satrow Are you telling that with the MSiNFO32 I uploaded here my computer is OK, no errors whatsoever???

Regarding these SM Bus controllers, to be honest, I know that since I re-installed my computer while upgrading to SSD, these SM Bus you've mentioned here always been like that, uninstalled and my computer always worked fine. Matter of fact, since last I post regarding BSOD, it has been running without any BSOD so far.

I guess nothing more we to check at this point?

24. satrow

No, it's much more likely that WER (Windows Error Reporting) is disabled or unable to start, so nothing is logged.

25. Solar

I guess I need to re-enable the "WER" service right???

26. satrow

Sure, that should help create future logs.

27. Eldon

From post #1...
    The BSOD happened after updating the audio drivers.
    Looking at the MSiNFO32 file you uploaded, Componenets > Problem Devices, there are 5 devices for which the drivers are not installed.
    You should install the drivers for these 3:
    PCI Simple Communications Controller.
    Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller (x2).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds