need help changing cable modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrdas45, Jan 20, 2011.

1. mrdas45

mrdas45 Private E-2

Hi I am with UPC(ntl) ISP i have CISCO cable EPC2425 modem was not happy with it and ordered Motorola SB6120 on Internet with hope to improve the Internet but was not realising that unlike ADSL modem cable need to have setting done for MAC addresses with ISP. spoke with UPC who said they only allow thee own modems and will not allow private modem. i was wondering was there any way of using Motorola SB6120 like changing MAC address. I checked use of JTAG Premod w/ Breakout on some site was wondering if that can answer my problem will be grateful for help as i am totally noob in this. i have no bad intentions just want to have good modem in the end.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Spoofing a mac address can cause you to loose service, and even then if your purchased modem doesn't respond to there tools or troubleshooting stuff you might be caught or out isp support or even loose your service complelty, not worth it.

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    Alsi it is possible that you just got a bad modem.
    Contact your ISP and see if they could switch out with another one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds