Need help Choosing a Gaming Headset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scorpionite, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Scorpionite

Scorpionite Private E-2

Ok, so, I already know a couple of Headsets that I am considering.

First up, we have the Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Sound headset, with the option to morph your voice. Sounding like a Space squirrel hasn't been so easy! lol. Also note that these have also had problems on the Windows 7 64 Bit operating systems. I've noticed some people have gotten the headphones and used them on windows 7 64 bit and had none though.

Second up, we have the Razer Megalodon, it is also 7.1 Surround sound, but it has been said to produce better sound quality. Plus, I am running a Windows 7 64 bit system and do not know if I want to risk the compatibility issues that some are having. Much like the G35, the issues are also only reported by some people.

The main reason I've been looking at Razer/Logitech is because they both have great reputations for quality products. The other reason being that I do not have a sound card. If I ever decide to use my Crossfire, my PCI slots would be covered, and so the sound card would have to be removed. Also it is important to note that since I don't have a sound card, even if I get a quality pair of Headphones such as from Sennheiser or Astro they will not be utilized.

Right now anything that I purchase would be better than what I have. I'm using a set of $20 Wal-Mart headphones with onboard sound lol.

So, any suggestions are welcome! If you can think of any reason I should/shouldn't buy these headsets, please let me know. I have time to consider this, and am not in a huge hurry. Also, please note, I am mostly concerned with choosing between these two headsets; however, if there is a more obvious choice that meets the same specifications, then please, by all means, tell me about it!

I have already picked a gaming mouse and Keyboard. I decided I would go with the Razer Mamba, and the Steelseries Merc Stealth Illuminated Gaming Keyboard. Both look like fantastic products, and I've done my research on both. It was hard to choose between the G15 Keyboard and the Merc, but the Merc won out(Gaming pad looks great + with macros and fits my black/red/blue theme).

Ok, well I think that's all I can think of to put here, again, if you have any questions/suggestions please let me know here. Thanks for reading and for the help!

P.S. Before I forget like an idiot, the reason why I mention the problems with Windows 7 64 bit OS's is because that is what I have! Stupid me, that will probably confuse some people until they read this. Unless you can pick up on my somewhat rushed writing!

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

One thing that starts small and becomes an overriding concern with headsets is fit. Specifically head pressure. I cannot wear plastic banded headsets for long periods, the ear pressure is uncomfortable. While testing all is good, 4 hours of gameplay is a different story.
    I use the A4Tech. No better for sound, no better for mike, hard to set up. Still comfortable after 6 or even 8 hours of gaming. The head band on the A4 is steel and can be bent to a permanent shape. I have a snug fit that does not change over time.
    Son uses ear buds and a clip on mike for the same reason. Extended gaming for him is uncomfortable with any headset.

3. Scorpionite

Scorpionite Private E-2

Thanks for your tips, and I have came to a decision on a pair I think will give me 0 problems! The SteelSeries 5H v2 USB Headset with Soundcard. They have great reviews, and would be perfect for what I'd use them for :). Thanks again for the input!

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

If you didn't buy a new headset yet, You could buy a plantronics gamecom pro 1 headset, It has great onboard sound quality plus it has a great mike, ( i have one).
    http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/plantronics-gamecom-pro-1/4505-13831_7-31157125.html

5. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds