Need help choosing graph card

Discussion in 'Software' started by fluidhammer, Mar 13, 2010.

1. fluidhammer

fluidhammer Private E-2

Hi, My graphics card has stopped working and i need to buy a replacement. I have a radoen x600 256mb hyper memory pci-e with dvi vga and s-video connections. My psu is 375 watts.
    I was just going to replace it with another of the same but if there are any better options out there for not much more money, maybe i should look into that. I can replace with same for around £25 - £30. I play call of duty united offensive and watch films through pc (s-video)
    My pc is dell dinension 9150 dual core 2.8mhz ,1 gig ram.

Dont think i can upgrade to cod4 for cheap enough so would like suggestions towards keeping it basic and/or ugrading to cod4

Thanks.

2. ScoobySnack

ScoobySnack Private First Class

So it turned out to be the gpu? Lucky! :-D

I prefer Nvidia cards, and this one costs ~25GBP with free shipping, is an upgrade from your dead one, and exceeds cod4's recommended system requirements.

If you really want to stick with ATI, this one is a little under 25GBP after shipping. Ditto on upgrade & exceeding cod4 recommended reqs.

The Nvidia card will be ok with your 375w psu as long as you're not running beefier than a dual core cpu. I'm honestly not 100% about the ATI card and your psu, I haven't ran ATI in years, but from looking at it I don't think it should be any more needy power wise than the Nvidia. Maybe someone else can follow up with a more concrete answer there... it wouldn't hurt to look at psu upgrades when you're able; either of those cards and a dual core cpu will set you just shy of what yours can handle.

edit--just spotted the cpu stats you posted, you should be ok. You'd also see a very noticeable difference if you added another stick of ram. Wouldn't be more then ~7-14GBP if you're running ddr2.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  3. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I agree with scoobysnack go with the 9400 gt ( i used to use that card) if you can afford it get the 1 gig version and that should take a little more load off you cpu.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds