Need help choosing new Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chris avz, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Chris avz

Chris avz Private First Class

My current spec is:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego
    XFX Geforce 7800GTX 256mb
    G.Skill 2GB DDR ZX PC3200 CAS2 Dual Channel Kit
    200GB SATA 150 Maxtor 8MB Cache Hard Drive
    ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SKT 939 NVIDIA® nForce4 Ultra M/B
    Hiper Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Blue
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

As you can see i currently have a ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SKT 939 NVIDIA® nForce4 Ultra M/B but im looking for an upgrade due to wanting SLI and an updated motherboard.

Now i have narrowed it down to be between these 2..

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR SKT939
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=11671

ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SLI S939
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=1315&page=2

Can somebody please help me choose.

Personally at the moment the Fatal1ty seems the best option for me as i use my computer mainly for Gaming and it seems to be the faster motherboard!

Thanks!

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I'm Curious what makes you say Abit seems faster?

I'd choose the DFI it will OC higher & has more advanced BIOS settings.
    DFI support is the Best, second to none!

3. Chris avz

Because the dfi only has 1000mhz system bus compared to the 2000 from the abit, well thats what i seem to have noticed anyways unless im reading wrong.

I'm more familiar with the Abit aswell as i have one at the moment and i really want one of them uguru panels lol

I dont really overclock much i just want the best out the box, i find it hard to overclock this processor its so sensitive compared to my amd 3000+

4. Chris avz

Right after reading numerous articles and reviews of the abit fatality an8 sli im not really sure its the board for me :<

I have a massive cooling fan on my current graphics card which would make this quite difficult to sli it, also quite a few articles slate it and yes you were right the dfi lanparty motherboard does always seem to come out on top! hmm

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Both support 1000FSB/2000MTS Hyper Transport
    Here's review:
    http://www.bytesizedreviews.com/index.php?rev_id=270&page=1&action=reviews

Aside from OC ability, customer support, not a lot of difference between the two MOBO or any in the review I posted.

I own a DFI Ut Ultra D (Modded to SLI) The Best MOBO Ive ever owned, an OCing monster! far more advanced BIOS settings then most. (my Ultra D and the SLI DR are basically the same both use the same BIOS, I believe the only difference is the spacing between two PCI-e slots & I had to mod mine to SLI)

I just built a Asus A8N SLI Premium, it's a great MOBO but my DFI will OC circles around it.

Looking at Pictures comparing the two MOBO's you linked, they both appear to have the same spacing between PCI-e slots (thinking about your massive cooler)

Still thinking about your Massive cooler an Asus SLI Prem has more room between the slots, your can see some pretty good pictures in the above review

6. Chris avz

Thankyou very much for this asus you've helped me alot..

That last review was a really good review.

It has been a very hard decision but ive decided that i'm going to go for the abit as i dont really overclock much and its been given a really good score in that review, ive read most of it aswell which helped.

As im used to the abit's i masewell stay with them as ive never had one problem wih em!

Thanks alot asus :)

7. AMD Pro

AMD Pro Private E-2

8. Chris avz

Cheapest i can find for that is £166

Cant seem to find it anywere else other than scratch computers!

I'ts not even on ebay

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds