Need Help Connecting Cable box to Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jschlach, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Jschlach

Jschlach Private E-2

I own a 30" HP monitor that has several DVI-D Dual Link ports as well as several USB ports. The TV in our bedroom died and I was hoping to be able to connect the monitor to the cable box. We have FIOS cable and I believe it is digital cable. I purchased a DVI-D to HDMI cable to connect the monitor to the cable box, and it connected, but the on button to the monitor just flashes instead of turning on. I think I am need to do something else ot make it work, but I am not sure sure what. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jason

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

My guess is you're running into a digital copyright protection issue.

HDMI connections include ways a source (such as a converter box) can tell if it's being hooked up to a TV (legitimate) or to another type of device (such as a stand-alone DVR) that could allow copyrighted programming to be recorded.

Although what you're doing does not violate copyright restrictions, I believe hooking an HDMI cable to an adapter (DVI, composite, etc.) triggers the copyright protection since the converter box can no longer tell if the device it is connecting to is a monitor or DVR.

I would call Verizon to see if this is the case. If it is, you may have to break down and buy a TV set with a native HDMI connection.

Hope this helps. :)

3. Jschlach

Jschlach Private E-2

I called verizon and they were no help, especially in the dvr/copyright arena. The woman told me that it should work using that wire(and i tried it from my computer to the monitor and it did), but couldn't help me with why it doesnn't.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

If the monitor is not HDCP compliant, it will not work.

5. Jschlach

Jschlach Private E-2

The manual says, "Three dual-link DVI-D inputs with HDCP over digital DVI2." I think that means it should work? The monitor works just fine when I plug it into my laptop. Could it be a problem because the monitor is 2560x1600 and the cable is less?

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

The resolution is the maximum the monitor will support. It can take resolutions up to the maximum as long as they are in the correct aspect ratio. 1920x1080 (1080p) will be a supported resolution.

Your monitor fully supports the input from the box.

The problem probably lies with the cable box not detecting the monitor due to the adapter. My advice is to ask Verizon to replace the box to see if this will fix the problem.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds