Need help deciphering a BSOD memory dump report...

Discussion in 'Software' started by ed.j, May 28, 2011.

1. ed.j

ed.j Private E-2

Hi there. I've had two BSODs in the last two days and so I followed the instructions as laid out here to try and work out what the problem is. I can tell that the problem seems to be coming from aswSP.sys, which is something to do with Avast, but beyond that I'm not sure what to do. Luckily their forums are down...

log attached. Any help would be really appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

* Download debugwiz.zip from the link at the bottom of this page, extract the EXE from the ZIP file and run the tool (debugwiz.exe). (Note: When running on Windows Vista / Windows 7, right-click the debugwiz.exe, and choose Run as administrator from the menu)
    * Select the Advanced check-box and click the Browse button next to "Location of the debugging tools…"
    * Locate and select cdb.exe (by default in C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)\ )
    o If you are running a 64-bit OS, you can find cdb.exe in C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x64)\ )
    * Click the Browse button next to "Dump file to be analyzed" and browse to your dump file
    * Click Generate Log (Note: You should be connected to the Internet while debugging.)
    * Wait for the command window to close and then find your log file here: C:\debuglog.txt
    * Open the file c:\debuglog.txt in notepad
    * Cut and paste the data to your thread, .

Download debugwiz.zip

But it might be simpler to uninstall Avast, reboot and reinstall it.

3. ed.j

ed.j Private E-2

You reckon I could solve it that easily!? Thanks for the speedy reply by the way!

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

It's worth a shot. Something could have become corrupted in your install. So uninstalling, running CCLeaner, rebooting and then reinstalling may fix the issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds