Need help downloading program

Discussion in 'Software' started by ChipSweeper, Aug 30, 2007.

1. ChipSweeper

ChipSweeper Private E-2

When I try to download programs on my pc, it doesn't work, saying that I may not have the needed access rights? I have Windows XP.

How do I change them in order to download a program?

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

It sounds like the user account your using has limited access and you need administrative rights. You'll need to log in as an admin to change the user rights, privileges, and permissions. (But you probably knew that already ;) )Check the Microsoft knowledge base; they might have a work around for you... in the meantime, hopefully someone will come along and shed more light on this for you.

3. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

I am assuming you are using IE. So what is not working? You can not download at all? This would be an IE access problem.
    Or you can download a program but not install it? this would be a user profile setting problem.

4. ChipSweeper

ChipSweeper Private E-2

Sorry, I can download but can't install due to not having correct access rights. What's a work around for this?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As mentioned earlier are you logged in as the ADMIN on your PC? If your account on that PC is a limited 2nd user one then you have no Administrative rights to install software.

As I/others have no idea on wether your an adult, parent or child we will need more info,

1. What is the exact error message your getting when trying to install? ( even a screenshot of the error will help... info on how to capture and post screenhots Taking Screenshots & HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post )

2. Is this a Work PC, Family PC or Your Own,
    If work then you are likely not to have Admin rights, will need to chat with your IT dept.​
    If Family, and if your a child... I dont mean to be rude as I have no idea of age etc, then have your parents set your PC account on XP as limited, if so again you will have no admin rights, you'll need to talk to them to have this software installed.​
    If your own then make sure you login as Admin to install, and if you are the Admin and logged into the Admin account does "every" program you download not install or just this one, and do name the program in question.​

3. Have you scanned for malware/virii? as sometimes this can stop you from installing software.

The more info you give the better equipped we are to help, troubleshooting when not at PC can at times not be easy task.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds