need help finding a MP3 player

Discussion in 'Software' started by watchntv, Sep 13, 2009.

1. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I had a MP3 player that was nice enough, drag/drop, played MP3 files, NON-IPOD

I can't find that at the store anymore, so I am looking for a new one that is about the same.. the only difference might be(if this exists) is one that can pay videos, so I might be able to download a movie and watch it, although I have no idea how I would get a movie to download on it.

I am considering
    http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players...-4gb/4507-6490_7-32591815.html?tag=mncol;psum
    [​IMG]

will this be able to play videos(like movies?) or should I just get one with a small screen so I can see what song is playing?
    I am opposed to buying IPOD stuff as I dont like to mess with the playlist or Itunes....anyone else bothered by that?

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hey watchntv :)

I have got this Sony..... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Walkman-NWZ-S639FB-Video-Player/dp/B001FB56PC

It is superb, very loud, lovely screen, simple interface and the battery life is amazing 40+ hours of actual usage :) and ive had my current one for about a year now and with a little spit and polish it looks almost new [except for the lil ding on the very edge where i dropped it outside]
    And most importantly it is very reliable! i have had many MP3's that just randomly turn off and restart themselves.

Bad points:
    You dont get a video converter with it so you have to use 3rd party.
    No way to connect a neck strap.
    Proprietry usb connection :( [sony sucks big time with propietry 'ware]

I have had a few good Phillips ones, although i dont like the screen on the one you posted....

This is the last one i had... http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca..._catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4#ps-sellers

All the phillips ive had were really good, but like every other before it... it got smashed in a tumble of my bike [i do a bit of downhill, so cant fault it really:p] they all came with a video converter tool, all had neck strap ability. and use standard mini USB which is a bonus these days :p

Q

3. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

so where did you get movies/video to watch?
    It is drag and drop? I can easily rip off Youtube audio/video and convert to whatever I want and then play it on the player you gave?
    -I dont get what "Proprietry usb connection" is or why it's a bad point? Would you further explain?

I mainly want this for MP3s, and I want to really be able to drag and drop I dont much for for playlists or whatever the IPOD my friend has seems to be a pain in the butt.
    what do you think a good price is to get the one you mentioned? I like walmart, but online deals are easy to find
    -thanks

4. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Ripped fom my DVD's :)

Yes, i have never had an MP3 that wasnt?

As long as you have permission to download the video that would be ok, otherwise that might be illegal, so be carfull.
    and yes you can just convert it with your converter. i just think it is nice when they give you a nice drag 'n' drop converter for your player as it has to be a very specific file and container [it explains it in the manual :)]

My bad, this is a "normal" aka "standard" MP3 usb connector....
    http://www.meditronik.com.pl/doc/mini/usb-kabel-mini=foto=canon.jpg
    Small connection on one end and a typical USB connection on the other, you likely have moer than one if you have bought a few gadgets over the years :p it is a wonderfull connection that is interchangable with any other device that has the same connection.

However Sony are renound for using "proprietary" connectors... such as this...
    http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2009/03/thumb160x_3d38e8d75f546019ecf39edac2e01e9d.jpg

That is an ipod plug but still shows the point i make..... instead of being interchangeable it is tied to one piece of hardware which means more wires hanging about and harder to replace.

eg, once the manufacturers stop producing the product your out of luck if your cable breaks.

Basically proprietary is bad!

They are both drag and drop :) and the menu is similar on both

Selct music >> Artist >> Album >> Song >> press play >> Rock on :)

Both the ones i linked too should be available for under £50, thats what i paid. (im not sure of the exchange rate at the moment if your outside UK)
    Also you can get ones with smaller memory that cost even less.

Q

5. meMYSELFnI

meMYSELFnI Private E-2

Here's the one I have and I love it. I pretty much had the criteria as you.

Sansa Fuze
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sansa-Fuze-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252877884&sr=1-1

Drag and drop
    battery life approx 24hrs
    EXPANDABLE MEMORY! microSDHC (I have yet to see the capacity limit)
    You can also download the converter for free to put on movies, pictures, etc
    FM tuner 40+ pretsets

The only thing I don't like is there are better sounding MP3 players out but not in the price range of a sansa fuze. It's not bad but there are better sounding.
    Another thing is the LCD screen isn't exposed. It's actually under the case cover. There are also DIY instructions to show how to swap the case or even replace the battery. Although if your a novice I wouldn't attempt it. If your a tinkerer and confident in your ability, it's not hard.

It also has the Proprietry usb connection unfortunately. Looks like an Ipod connecter but DON'T use a Ipod charger or it'll fry your player.

Overall the expandable memory sold me. So much more convenient to swap a 2-8gb card than having to hook up to the computer and change all your music. It'll have an internal and then if/when you decide you want to download more, just get a card. Supports class 6 cards which I highly recommend over cheap class 2. There speed is well worth the extra buck.
    My 4gb fuze basically new on ebay I got for about 35 shipped. $20 for a 8 gb class 6 card on eggnet. 12gb MP3 approx $55. Can't beat that.

Last thing.
    Be careful when buying Sony products. Some will take a special software to upload or change music. I've had my experience with sony and I'll never go back to them. CS hasn't been good with me and like I said... The software thing is HORRIBLE. Just know what your buying and check lots of reviews on anything before you decide on it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds