Need help fixing internet connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hatredformalware, Nov 19, 2011.

1. hatredformalware

hatredformalware Private E-2

Hi. I'm coming from the malware forums where I was helped and was suggested to come here for help with my connection. I had a connection when I installed superantispyware because I was able to download the updates. But when I scanned and rebooted, my connection was gone. I followed the instructions for this issue from the malware forums which was to "Repair broken network connection (Winsock LSP Chain" through superantispyware but that didn't work.

My desktop is the one with the issue because my router sends a wireless signal and I can connect to it with no problems. When I open up my connection I get "Acquiring Network Address" and my IP Address and Subnet Mask show 0.0.0.0

Any help is appreciated :)

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

You didn't say what OS you have so you might have to adjust the instructions.

First thing I would check is the service for DHCP. In XP, if you go to the control panel > Administrative Tools > Services and make sure that the DHCP Client is started and running. Also, click on the dependencies tab and look what other services might not be running.

3. hatredformalware

hatredformalware Private E-2

Hey. Thanks for the response. I ended up doing that after doing some googling and found out that my DHCP client service isn't able to start because a file is missing, as well as the TCP/IP service. Most likely lost during the malware removal process. I have windows XP and I ran a SFC scan and the it prompted me to run the windows service pack 3 installation CD which I don't have. At least I know the problem and how to fix it. Gonna look around for a SP3 CD. Hope that works :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds